The Dronfield Arms pub

Andy C

Paid Dronfield Arms a visit last night. First thing to say is that they seem to have done a good job with the refurb. The layout reminds me very strongly of the Fat Cat in Colchester bizarrely enough with a narrow bar area and seating at the back of the pub.

6 real ales on, including their own House best bitter, although the barmaid didn't know who brews it. Prices are the cheap but oddly enough the most interesting beer they have on is Steigl Lager. Apparently the Dronfield Arms is the 1st pub in the UK to stock it and it's actually fairly good.

However, the atmosphere still isn't quite there yet if you ask me. I popped into the 3 Tuns afterwards and that was busier and very friendly.

i live just up the road from the 3 tuns and i don't mind it in there my only annoyance about it is the bar in the centre of the pub, i went in before spires took over and it was always empty so its good to see that there is always some people in there. The ciders are nice!! i've been watching with anticipation for the old sidings to open my other half and most his mates drink real ales and there in mid 20's to 30's i like the odd real ale. Im yet to go in to the dronfield arms not had chance yet. Its so pleasing that real ales are making their way to dronfield, it use to be a great nite out but it's pants now due to the idiots venturing round from low edges, batemoor and jordanthorpe (not all of them are). But the best real ale place in sheff is the sheaf down heeley fantastic pub always packed!!! i will be venturing to the dronfield arms (is it true u have a micro brewery?)

These loyalty shcemes seem to be getting popular with pubs, basically all it says to me is they could charge less for their food and drink to start with.

If I thought regulars were getting a pint of lager over 50p a pint less than me I wouldn't go in.

Well I'll be damned, all I have to do is buy a loyalty card to keep you out.

Warra bargain. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I have been in the Dronfield arms 3 times since the opening and think it's fantastic. The selection of real ales are good especially the farmers blonde, the steigl lager i'm told has overtaken carling sales by 2-1. The landlord and landlady are pleasent enough and chatty unlike some others I could mention. The bar has a modern look with a traditional pub feel. There are no TV's which the wife was glad about the music is as it should be "IN THE BACKGROUND". The landlord told me that he is running the place to be the kind of place he would take his wife to on a night out, well if he continues with that attitude, and keeps his ale quality how it is he wont go far wrong.

Paid Dronfield Arms a visit last night. First thing to say is that they seem to have done a good job with the refurb. The layout reminds me very strongly of the Fat Cat in Colchester bizarrely enough with a narrow bar area and seating at the back of the pub.

6 real ales on, including their own House best bitter, although the barmaid didn't know who brews it. Prices are the cheap but oddly enough the most interesting beer they have on is Steigl Lager. Apparently the Dronfield Arms is the 1st pub in the UK to stock it and it's actually fairly good.

However, the atmosphere still isn't quite there yet if you ask me. I popped into the 3 Tuns afterwards and that was busier and very friendly.

I just wondered out for the evening with some friends and thought we'd check the place out.

It is empty, smells of paint, but has potential.

There is a good selection of wines and 6 real ales on.

While my friends are Dronfielders and are pointing out the changes and how they miss this and that, they've also said there were lots of fights and trips for young 'couples' into the woods behind. Hmm, classy.

I don't think the new landpeople will have problems like that- it seems like a really nice pub- just need to get more drinkers in.

Well I'll be damned, all I have to do is buy a loyalty card to keep you out.

Warra bargain. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

The pubs I use all have loyalty card schemes but we don't have one, they run a two tier price scale anyway for regulars.

Example Carling for us £2.04, Carling for non regulars £2.90, give them a loyalty card which knocks it down to £2.40 and they think the are getting something for nothing.

I went in last week and it still smelled strongly of paint. However, the beer range was good and the place was pretty busy.

The board at the side of the bar with details on all the rea ales is a good idea but could do with not being right next to the main serving area as you couldn't get a look at it with people standing around at the end of the bar.

Overall I thought it was a nice place with good potential and, although Dronfield isn't my usual stampign ground I'll definitely be giving it another look at.

I must be getting old I can remember the first time this pub was opened as "the Sidings" by Len Badger and Howard Shappel.

I must be older! I remember when it was called the Midland in the late 70's, after the railway line I assume.

ta:rolleyes:

Archived