The Dronfield Arms pub

Andy C

I went to the Dronfield Arms last Satruday and was very impressed. The pub was very busy, and, as previously posted, they have made an excellent job of the refurb, it is hardly recognisable. I had a pint each of Burton Bridge Stairway to Heaven and Bradfield Farmers Blonde, both were in excellent condition. It is good to see a genuine freehouse no longer controlled by the likes of Punch Taverns or Enterprise Inns. The prices reflect this in that they are lower than most of the pubs in Dronfield! :)

Used to be a regular in the Old Sidings before it went downhill fast, so was keen to nip in and check out the newly-named Arms.

Individual taste, I know, but it seemed very sterile to me...and on the occasion I called, there were as many toddlers/children under 10 as adults....and I'm afraid that's a "no-no" in my book.

Popped in recently for a look - hadn't actually realised it had opened until I spotted the bay trees outside.

Well... commendable ale selection and interesting lagers (Steigl, as has been mentioned already). Thwaites Nutty Brown on for £2 a pint is reasonable. Food prices very budget friendly indeed, but didn't get to sample the fodder this time around.

My only issue, and it's an issue I have with pubs the length and breadth of Dronfield (admittedly I haven't yet ventured to Coal Aston), is the decor and music. The Dronfield Arms is another echoey box with neutral colours, light wood and pretty bland wall hangings. There doesn't seem to be a pub or bar with proper character or soul in the town. The Bridge is reasonable, but the rest are pretty 'safe' in their approach.

Music can also make a place; The Three Tuns on my last visit was playing Jazz FM which I found to be a lazy approach; The Dronfield Arms was playing very inoffensive, passive tunes without much consideration - Snow Patrol, mid-life Oasis, Stevie Wonder, Nina Simone - all well and good in context but together do not make good listening. I just hope that in attempting to appeal to everyone with it's beers, decor and music, The Dronfield Arms doesn't fall between two stools.

I do wonder how come so many Dronfield pubs completely miss the mark in decor and music policy.

I understand that everyone has their own taste but they all seem to be reading the same interior design book.

Popped in recently for a look - hadn't actually realised it had opened until I spotted the bay trees outside.

Well... commendable ale selection and interesting lagers (Steigl, as has been mentioned already). Thwaites Nutty Brown on for £2 a pint is reasonable. Food prices very budget friendly indeed, but didn't get to sample the fodder this time around.

My only issue, and it's an issue I have with pubs the length and breadth of Dronfield (admittedly I haven't yet ventured to Coal Aston), is the decor and music. The Dronfield Arms is another echoey box with neutral colours, light wood and pretty bland wall hangings. There doesn't seem to be a pub or bar with proper character or soul in the town. The Bridge is reasonable, but the rest are pretty 'safe' in their approach.

Music can also make a place; The Three Tuns on my last visit was playing Jazz FM which I found to be a lazy approach; The Dronfield Arms was playing very inoffensive, passive tunes without much consideration - Snow Patrol, mid-life Oasis, Stevie Wonder, Nina Simone - all well and good in context but together do not make good listening. I just hope that in attempting to appeal to everyone with it's beers, decor and music, The Dronfield Arms doesn't fall between two stools.

I do wonder how come so many Dronfield pubs completely miss the mark in decor and music policy.

I understand that everyone has their own taste but they all seem to be reading the same interior design book.

None of the pubs you mention though are venues where you go to listen to music - the soundtrack is designed to be purely background with the atmosphere being one of friends in conversation. Perhaps a more lively 'disco' pub such as the Blue Stoops would suit or maybe the Coach & Horses jam night?

Sheffield & District CAMRA and the Dronfield Arms pub are teaming up to bring you a beer tasting evening. Think you know about beer and can recognise different beers from taste alone?

Participants will be offered a third of a pint of 10 different beers to taste, without knowing which beer is which. A sheet with tasting notes for all the possible beers will be provided. All you have to do is work out which beer is which. Simple?

The person who gets the most beers correct will be in with the chance of winning a £25 bar tab at the Dronfield Arms, to be spent on food and/or drink. In the event of a tie break situation, there will be a taste off using blends.

Tickets for this event cost just £10 including beer and buffet. Drinking water will also be provided to 'cleanse the palate' between beers.

Please book direct with the pub - call 01246 414413 to reserve a table.

The date is Monday 10th October and its an 8pm start.

None of the pubs you mention though are venues where you go to listen to music - the soundtrack is designed to be purely background with the atmosphere being one of friends in conversation. Perhaps a more lively 'disco' pub such as the Blue Stoops would suit or maybe the Coach & Horses jam night?

Wouldn't be caught dead in the Blue Stoops and the Coach & Horses is another bland interior imho. I'll remember not to go in the Dronfield Arms without friends from now on so we can chat in the boxy room with echoing walls and floors. It's not that I want to listen to the music, it's more that I don't want the 'background noise' to be incongruous within it's setting or style.

At the end of the day it's obviously each to their own, and it's far easier to complain than to put money where your mouth is ;) I should be grateful that there are some boozers in central Dronfield with a decent ale range on now.

Archived