The Dronfield Arms pub

Andy C

Apparantly its a licence restriction.

Is it? I wondered about that.

Wetherspoons have a similar rule don't they? Not that I am a fan of Wetherspoons at all but I appreciate they serve a purpose for tasteless hungry people who like frozen microwave food and cheap drinks.

I went to a pub, ooh! some summers ago now in Chezzie. The Portland I think it's called. Around lunchtime it was - on a lovely sunny day. We walked in with the kids - aged about 8 and 5 I'd say. They said "no kids in the bar unless you are eating". I pointed out I was chewing a toffee but that didn't count.

So, we went and sat at the tables outside in the sun. Lovely! why not? Then a waitress came outside and said "you can't sit out here with kids unless you are having a meal". So we supped up and left.

I have to admit - the problem with kids in pubs is not the kids - it's their bloody parents who don't want to discipline them at all and are happy to have them running riot. I do understand why kids aren't welcome everywhere and it's a shame because it's not the kids fault.

However, I do find this "we'll put up with your kids if you are spending extra dosh on food" a bit annoying. I mean - either kids are welcome or they aren't surely?

And if it's a "licence thing" then for heaven's sake- get a better licence!

(methinks it's a teeny weeny little white lie in some cases)

And if it's a "licence thing" then for heaven's sake- get a better licence!

(methinks it's a teeny weeny little white lie in some cases)

Apparantly the Arms have their childrens licence sorted now.

You make it sound so simple..... but to have a licence that allows children you have to jump through a lot of child protection hoops.

Have a read: http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/business/licences/licensing_act_2003/default.asp

• 2 weeks later...
I've tried the food in the Arms now, tasty and reasonably priced. Proper chips too. Thumbs up!

Oh and don't forget its the beer tasting competition this Monday evening!

Just heard that They are doing a Tuesday steak night with wine offer so i'll post tomorrow to say how it went

• 3 weeks later...
Dronfield isn't a rough town, the trouble tends to come in from other areas in the main.

I'm sure Dronny has got it's troublemakers like most other places, but I agree with you, from what I see, it's not a bad place on the whole and has a lot going for it.

Good on the Dronny Arms too for getting a better licence! I'm sure it wasn't simple but all within the capability of any pub wishing to cater for families.

• 2 weeks later...

Copied from recent email newsletter:

Greetings from the Dronfield Arms,

Christmas is not too far away, so if you plan to come and see us for a Christmas meal during December, booking is advisable. 01246 414413 or dronfieldarms@gmail.com. Our Xmas menu can be found on our website or in the pub!

This weeks guest beers:

Dark Star Hop Head

Cains Fine Raisin Bitter

Milestone Loxley Ale

Saltaire Cascade IPA

Darkstar American IPA

Milestone Fletchers Ale

Abbeydale Absolution

Bradfield Belgian Blue

In other news;

- Monday cash prize draw now up to £110, remember you have to be in to win! 9pm every Monday

- Wednesday is bargain wine night with a choice of 5 bottles @ only £8 each, from 8pm every Wednesday

- Sunday is quiz night, come along and let Lee test your brain power. 8.30pm start, free entry and great prizes!

December events:

- Sat December 10th - Milestone Brewery Tour. Depart 1pm. £12.50 per person. Includes return coach, brewery tour, finger buffet AND beer. Bargain.

- Sat December 10th - Dronfield Arms Christmas party. Mince pies, mulled wine, great beer, you name it, we have it. Come along and join the fun!

- Thursday December 29th - Doncaster Races Trip. Full English Breakfast (@10am), return coach and Grandstand entry only £30. £10 deposit to reserve your place

New Year’s Eve Party, December 31st - A big party night is planned, watch this space for more information.

Please forward this email to a friend or colleague! We are also on Facebook and making fledgling efforts on Twitter!

We hope to see you soon!

--

Dronfield Arms

91 Chesterfield Rd

Dronfield S18 2XE

Tel: 01246 414413

http://www.dronfield-arms.co.uk

Find us on Facebook

Archived