The Dronfield Arms pub

Andy C

AndyC - thanks for posting that newsletter. I've only been in the DA once since it opened and I thought they were a bit limited with their choice of real ales. I only recall seeing maybe 3 or 4 on handpull. (Which is still pretty reasonable, depending on whether they have a range of styles and strengths - something that the 3 Tuns struggle with as nearly all their beers are around 4% most times I've been in - yes, occasionally they have an Amarillo or Enigma which I like - but please don't talk to me about Sgt Pepper Stout - it is vile).

Now I know DA have so many beers - and some really interesting different ones as well - I'll be there.

I'm not sure if I just got a bad pint of that Sgt Pepper stout when I went. There's very few beers that I genuinely dislike but I only ordered a half and couldn't finish it. There is a black pepper flavour in there for sure and I don't have a problem with that - but it just seemed a very peculiar taste all round.

I see Thornbridge have reduced the alcohol levels in some of their beers btw. Anyone noticed? The Halcyon and St Petersburg have been dropped down to 7.4% to avoid paying a new tax which comes in on beers 7.5% and above apparently. Still taste good though.

I'm not sure if I just got a bad pint of that Sgt Pepper stout when I went. There's very few beers that I genuinely dislike but I only ordered a half and couldn't finish it. There is a black pepper flavour in there for sure and I don't have a problem with that - but it just seemed a very peculiar taste all round.

I see Thornbridge have reduced the alcohol levels in some of their beers btw. Anyone noticed? The Halcyon and St Petersburg have been dropped down to 7.4% to avoid paying a new tax which comes in on beers 7.5% and above apparently. Still taste good though.

Well Sgt Pepper does contain pepper! Thornbridge have produced beers with pepper in themselves such as Exposed and it's not something I personally want in beer unless that beer is going to be used for cooking.

I thought St Petersburg had dropped but thought I`d imagined it!

Hoping to visit DA today for the first time. Have high hopes!

Gave the DA a look in earlier this week. Yes, 6 ales - 3 of them are on all the time - 2 from Thwaites. Thwaites isn't bad beer I suppose - not my favourite in terms of their standard bitters, I like the Lancaster Bomber though.

Anyhow, DA has a permanent beer by Thwaite's called "nutty black". It is 3.3%!! :huh: Three point three percent? That's weak as cats p. I didn't think they made beer that weak these-days. May as well have a glass of water or some Dandelion and Burdock. That is a waste of a bar pump to me.

I think the standard bitter that is brewed for the pub by Thwaites was ok. Decent strength for a standard bitter at 4.2%.

The Bradfield Farmer's Blonde is the star of the show when it comes to the 3 permanent beers. This brewery turn out some fine beers and the Farmer's Blonde is becoming a bit of a favourite because it's middle of the road, palatable, light without being too hoppy, and nice flavoured.

The thing I liked about the pub were a very good choice of drinks, not just beer, but wine and champagne even as well. Brilliant place to go with my other half who gets so fed up at real ale pubs that don't even have the most basic half-decent glass of wine.

It's a world apart from the old Sidings in terms of decor and clientele. Just as well regarding the clientele as it was getting to be like a bar in a Borstal before.

I think they've done a nice job of doing the place up, but it was very quiet on both occasions when I've been in midweek, and lacking in atmosphere. I also think the decor, being blue and pale green walls, is very cold and a bit clinical. It could do with some warmer tones in there to make it a bit more cosy perhaps.

But - it's great to see it back on its feet. I hope it does well and I will go back again - maybe try some food another time?

I don't think it will take me away from the Coach & Horses though because I like stronger beers - 5% upwards - and that's what the C&H do well.

Archived