Can asylum be revoked once the threat has been removed ?

Ok so we are now seeing on TV that Libya is soon to be declared free of the Gaddafi so would that create a situation where people that claimed asylum here to escape that regime would then be safe and would they then be asked to leave ?

I noticed that a lot of Kurds that came here to get away from Saddam are still here after his regime came to an end so how exactly should asylum work and why don't cases get looked back into if indeed they don't ?

Ok so we are now seeing on TV that Libya is soon to be declared free of the Gaddafi so would that create a situation where people that claimed asylum here to escape that regime would then be safe and would they then be asked to leave ?

I noticed that a lot of Kurds that came here to get away from Saddam are still here after his regime came to an end so how exactly should asylum work and why don't cases get looked back into if indeed they don't ?

You raise a very good point.

Of course, the genuine asylum seekers would most likely be delighted to return home once things are safe in their country of origin, while the economic migrants who lie their way into the UK will propably wish to remain here.

I can almost hear the floorboards creaking as the apologists come into the light for this one . . . .

when the occupiers leave their land then maybe they will go back
No one occupies the 'land' from what I understand, in Libya at least. Am I missing something or does air support not mean being in the sky ?

I would understand the comment in reference to Iraq but given that the regime under which people fled and claimed asylum is now gone how would you justify the need to stay here ?

You raise a very good point.

Of course, the genuine asylum seekers would most likely be delighted to return home once things are safe in their country of origin, while the economic migrants who lie their way into the UK will propably wish to remain here.

It is a good point, you can imagine that many asylum seekers would be delighted to return to their homeland once things have returned to normal. I watched Hotel Rwanda recently and did some reading to find out what happened to the Tutsi refugees afterwards..many went to France/Belgium and did return back after the war had ended, although of course many stayed in their new country as they'd adapted to the new life.

I can almost hear the floorboards creaking as the apologists come into the light for this one . . . .

Well I'm sorry Conrod (pardon the pun), but the only thing creaking round here are your knees from carrying the burden of your persecution complex ;)

Why would they every want to go back they get far to many benefits living in Britain?
The question is not about what people may want, its asking what situation the UK government take on it, whether sending people back breaks any international treaty or anything and whether we have a policy to revoke asylum or not. Or do we just leave it up to people discretion whether they wish to stay here or not and if so why ?

Why would they every want to go back they get far to many benefits living in Britain?

I think a refugee doctor/lawyer/teacher/engineer/nurse etc would have far better prospects returning to his/her home country than living here on benefits, don't you?

It is a good point, you can imagine that many asylum seekers would be delighted to return to their homeland once things have returned to normal. I watched Hotel Rwanda recently and did some reading to find out what happened to the Tutsi refugees afterwards..many went to France/Belgium and did return back after the war had ended, although of course many stayed in their new country as they'd adapted to the new life.
I.e. they'd made their way to a cushy number and wanted to keep it that way rather than return where they belong.

Well I'm sorry Conrod (pardon the pun), but the only thing creaking round here are your knees from carrying the burden of your persecution complex ;)
I don't feel persecuted at all old chap, just mildly aggrieved at the number of people bloating the population of our little island whose skills and qualities would be put to better use in the ghettoes of other parts of the world.

But whatever happens, What ever decision is made it will still not be good enough, for the majority of so called 'Asylum seekers'

What really annoys me is when people move to and live in Britain, Then complain about it say how much they hate it in Britain and how good 'There country is???' why the hell don't they go back then?

Archived