Deposit on cars, your opinions please

After i initially pulled out of the sale i then contacted him to say that id still take it, it was then he said i could have the deposit back if someone else bought it.

So in effect he took my deposit and waited to see if his ebay listing fetched more money than our deal.

Surley thats not right?

No, that's not right, according to what you've told us:

He took your deposit (as agreed), then the next day you told him that you couldn't go ahead with the sale.

He then leaves it on Ebay to try and sell it, offering to give you the deposit back if he does.

That sounds right, this bit is new:

After i initially pulled out of the sale i then contacted him to say that id still take it

So, how long a period was it between you telling him you couldn't buy it and then contacting him again to say that you would?

No, that's not right, according to what you've told us:

He took your deposit (as agreed), then the next day you told him that you couldn't go ahead with the sale.

He then leaves it on Ebay to try and sell it, offering to give you the deposit back if he does.

That sounds right, this bit is new:

So, how long a period was it between you telling him you couldn't buy it and then contacting him again to say that you would?

Probably 24 hours

So within 24 hours, you agreed to pay the deposit, sent it, pulled out, and then pulled back in again?

I'd have you down as a bit of a time waster if I was him, maybe messing him about. He probably wants to hold onto the deposit to safeguard the sale, in case you pull out again.

If the eBay listing ends for less than the 4k you've agreed though, he will be obligated to sell to the highest bidder, which won't be you, as you haven't bid (due to him agreeing to remove it for you)

I'd have you down as a bit of a time waster if I was him, maybe messing him about. He probably wants to hold onto the deposit to safeguard the sale, in case you pull out again.

Me too, you can't keep messing somebody about when there's four-figure prices involved and expect them to have faith in you.

Me too, you can't keep messing somebody about when there's four-figure prices involved and expect them to have faith in you.

Especially when you've said "I've lost the contract, so I'm not going to have the money to pay you" and then suddenly said "Oh, actually, I will be able to buy it"

Hes probably thinking you are going to mess around and take months to get his cash to him, and if someone else can come and give him the full amount tomorrow, then that would be better for him, and he will return your deposit. If not, he will wait a few weeks and see if you can come up with the cash as promised. Doesn't sound TOO unfair to me.

Also, in your OP you never mentioned the fact that you had contacted him AGAIN to say you still wanted it. In that case, shouldn't he still be holding your deposit? You don't want it back if you want the car do you?

I'd say now, you've paid the deposit, and said you want the car BUT there are doubts as to if and when you can get the cash together.

The seller is holding your deposit as agreed (you had asked for it back, but have now cancelled this by saying you still want the car) until you get the cash together, BUT if someone else can come up with the same amount, or more money sooner than you can, he will sell to them and return your deposit. I actually see nothing unfair now.

Archived