Retired Too Soon!

For the last few years of my working life I was counting the days to my retirement,I could,nt wait!.I always had early starts 2am,3am,ect. thats the joy of being a HGV driver,despite this I enjoyed my job touring the UK at the firms expense I knew my way around most cities intimately.Retirement arrived and I started all the jobs I,d been putting off round the house and garden,after 3 months everything was finished and boredom set in as it was winter time,raining most days so I was sat around the house a lot reading,watching tv listening to music and getting nagged to death by my little wifey.I couldn,t believe I,d be so browned off,anyhow I went back driving for an agency for another 3 yrs until I was 68yrs old and I,ve only just packed in I don,t feel like an old boy I,m still 21 in my head even if I don,t look it!:roll::confused:

When I retire and have done all those jobs I have never got around to doing I plan to do some course at college - no idea what as yet but something totally different to all the jobs I have had. ;)

I want to go and studying different degrees, travel and walk/help rescue dogs when I retire. I'll have to start saving now as I dont think my pension will exist in 30 years and I bet I'll be in my 70's before I will be allowed to retire

I retired with ill health at the age of 48. I find winter boring also, but I have an interest in photography and use this to pass the time.

If you are retired then surely your friends are as well. Why not meet and go walking or go for coffee somewhere.

For the last few years of my working life I was counting the days to my retirement,I could,nt wait!.I always had early starts 2am,3am,ect. thats the joy of being a HGV driver,despite this I enjoyed my job touring the UK at the firms expense I knew my way around most cities intimately.Retirement arrived and I started all the jobs I,d been putting off round the house and garden,after 3 months everything was finished and boredom set in as it was winter time,raining most days so I was sat around the house a lot reading,watching tv listening to music and getting nagged to death by my little wifey.I couldn,t believe I,d be so browned off,anyhow I went back driving for an agency for another 3 yrs until I was 68yrs old and I,ve only just packed in I don,t feel like an old boy I,m still 21 in my head even if I don,t look it!:roll::confused:

I was with my cousin yesterday who is a retired lorry driver and he misses the life.

He was OK in retirement whilst he was fit and well but now his health isn't so good he gets bored.

When I finished work I started researching our family history which I found enjoyable and absorbing. I met somme really nice people and visited towns where my relatives originated from. It needn't cost a lot of money and there are free sites to use for research.

Why not advertise yourself as an odd job man. There are lots of women like me (with husbands lacking in the DIY department) looking for a reasonably priced handyman to tackle all those jobs around the house that never seem to get done.

Archived