Does anyone actually LIKE having long fingernails??

I love having my nails long, but it does take a different movement to do virtually everything if you're used to them being short. The hardest thing, which took me a very painful few hours to work out, was learning to take my contact lenses out with long nails (when I went from my natural short to extensions and silk wraps).

The answer is to use the side of the thumb and the side of the first finger (folded over so pointing back to the wrist) as pincers rather than fingertips, and there are similar answers to most of the things that seem impossible when your nails are suddenly long.

Typing becomes a seriously loud experience which involves loads of clattering on the keyboard and you find a way to use the side of your thumb or knuckles on buttons where fingertips would normally be used.

It takes me twice as long to do up and undo buttons... and I've no chance when it comes to picking coins up off a flat surface. It took me about 30 tries to get my quid back out of the trolley at Asda the other day. :cry:

Shaz, why don't you just carry some sticky tape with you to pick up coins, this way you can keep your long nails :)

Shaz, why don't you just carry some sticky tape with you to pick up coins, this way you can keep your long nails :)

Great idea, but what about getting my pound out of the trolley again? I'm too scared to go to Asda now :hihi:, the little trolleys at Tesco don't need one so I go there now :hihi:. If you want to know what it's like, try using a pair of plastic chopsticks with one hand to get your quid back next time you go shopping. :shakes:

I like having long nails but not the mess your nails are left in afterwards. And its an almost impossible task to open a can of something to drink!

That one's easy- you just need the handle of a teaspoon or similar utensil to pop the ring pull up without ripping your nails off :)

For the pound coin out of the trolley, that would be the same as the contact lenses- side of the thumb and side of the forefinger.

There is a way round virtually all of these things (although you do scratch yourself something dreadful while you work them out!).

That one's easy- you just need the handle of a teaspoon or similar utensil to pop the ring pull up without ripping your nails off :)

For the pound coin out of the trolley, that would be the same as the contact lenses- side of the thumb and side of the forefinger.

There is a way round virtually all of these things (although you do scratch yourself something dreadful while you work them out!).

Catching them underneath car door handles :( ouchies!

Nope, that doesn't work for me. The pound is pushed inside the tiny half-circle groove so far that you have to use the tips of your fingers to reach it. :cry:

Archived