Just bought a Flag pole.

Which flag should I have on my pole?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which flag should I have on my pole?

Tell me, do you drive around in your Ford Fiesta with a pole and flag on the top advocating you're proud to be a Ford user? It would be a bit dim would it not considering most Fords are identified by Ford decals on the front and rear.

I fail to see your point? A flag on top of the car may be pointless since there is a badge on the front of the car. How does this relate to people? I've rarely seen anybody with their nationality stamped on their forehead from birth.

Also, I know somebody who owns a Morgan, a lovely English car. They're very proud of their car. They're members of the Morgan Sports Car Club. They go to club events. In fact they're Morgan enthusiasts. They wear Morgan branded t-shirts and Morgan caps. That is despite their car have the Morgan badge on the front of the car. Just saying. :)

The day our children are ordered to stand in front of a flag at school with their hand on their chest dribbling some mantra about how proud they should be is the day we lose our freedom.

That will never happen, it's not part of our culture. :)

What's the problem with flying the UK/English Flag proudly? What? It might upset a few Foreign Nationals who probably shouldn't be here anyway? Pfft.. Sod 'em.

And no, I am not a racist nor do I support the BNP.

What's the problem with flying the UK/English Flag proudly? What? It might upset a few Foreign Nationals who probably shouldn't be here anyway? Pfft.. Sod 'em.

And no, I am not a racist nor do I support the BNP.

But if you fly the union flag (not union jack unless you are on a boat ;)) many brand you a bnp supporter and racist, which I'd tragic. The yanks seem to have a stars and stripes outside everyhouse and other counties are proud enough to do it. You seem to get flack if you do it in this country, often by people like Ron wassisname who always have relatives who won ww2 single handed and further back sailed with nelson.

Obviously you can fly a flag when it's the world cup, supporting players who couldn't give a tuppenny doodar a out the rest of us anyway.

And make sure your flag is clean and tidy. Unless it was stuck on top of a mountain after a battle with jerry, keep it looking nice or don't bother.

Ron wassisname who always have relatives who won ww2 single handed and further back sailed with nelson.

If that was a reference to me then at least back it up big mouth. I don't think to date I've mentioned my families back ground. I think you're getting me mixed up with another poster who not only have relatives in almost every post but the neighbours dog seems to be battle weary too.

No, I don't like insipid little "hey look at me I'm a patriot and I've proven it by buying a 16 dollar import" numb-skulls.

If you wanna be a patriot, get your head down, get stuck in and get some work done.

This NEED to prove a point that actually doesn't need proving:gag: Peacocks the lot ov ya.

I fail to see your point? A flag on top of the car may be pointless since there is a badge on the front of the car. How does this relate to people? I've rarely seen anybody with their nationality stamped on their forehead from birth.

Also, I know somebody who owns a Morgan, a lovely English car. They're very proud of their car. They're members of the Morgan Sports Car Club. They go to club events. In fact they're Morgan enthusiasts. They wear Morgan branded t-shirts and Morgan caps. That is despite their car have the Morgan badge on the front of the car. Just saying. :)

That will never happen, it's not part of our culture. :)

The point you fail to see is you're English in England yet still need to prove it by flying a flag. I can see the point if you live in Napal.

Since when has flying a flag on your front lawn been part of our culture?

Tell me, do you drive around in your Ford Fiesta with a pole and flag on the top advocating you're proud to be a Ford user? It would be a bit dim would it not considering most Fords are identified by Ford decals on the front and rear.

You're in England, you're English, your passport says so. But more importantly..you had no choice in the matter. Flag flying is nationalism imo, not patriotism. 3 uncles dead in the 2WW, father fought in 2WW, Grandfather served in 1st and 2nd. Never flew a flag once. I guess they were liberal lefty Marxists.

The day our children are ordered to stand in front of a flag at school with their hand on their chest dribbling some mantra about how proud they should be is the day we lose our freedom.

Sorry ronwassisname, I thought you were talking about your family here. If I got the wrong end of the stick I apologise.

If you don't want fly a flag and still be patriotic, fine but dont hammer those who do.

Never read such nonsense. You're claiming a person flying the Union Flag out of some sense of their own patriotism, actually isn't patriotic and that those feelings of pride in their nation actually don't exist, simply on your say so? :loopy:

Having just returned from Sweden I saw, as I always do, many people in more rural areas fly their flag on a pole, whether it's the Swedish flag or pennant, or the flag of Skåne. (No other Swedish district has its own national flag, flying the Skåne flag is an act of gentle subversion)

They don't really do it out of anything more than a gentle patriotism/subversion, and because it looks nice.

The Flag of St George looks OK, but the Union Flag is a mess. Four flags in one, makes the eyes hurt.

Archived