Scots and University tuition fees

I found it strange when the students were criticising changes to tuition fees they did not argue for the same free tuition as Scotland.

It appeared to me that the change was used to launch an attack on Nick Clegg instead of arguing for the same free tuition in England as those in Scotland and Wales have.

i dont want to upset you even more but i thought it was free to the welsh and irish too :hihi:

Nope, the Northern Irish and Welsh have to pay.

I found it strange when the students were criticising changes to tuition fees they did not argue for the same free tuition as Scotland.

It appeared to me that the change was used to launch an attack on Nick Clegg instead of arguing for the same free tuition in England as those in Scotland and Wales have.

Spot on.

The English have completely missed the point on this one. Instead of moaning about what happens in other countries they should have been demanding to know why fees were going through the roof and why a degree in fingerpainting at the university of spunkbridge could be charged at the same rate as that from Oxford or Cambridge.

Nope, the Northern Irish and Welsh have to pay.

Spot on.

The English have completely missed the point on this one. Instead of moaning about what happens in other countries they should have been demanding to know why fees were going through the roof and why a degree in fingerpainting at the university of spunkbridge could be charged at the same rate as that from Oxford or Cambridge.

It'll be interesting to see if spunkbridge can sell it's courses in fine art.. :)

There's currently a court case going on where some lawyers are taking the Scottish Universities to the European Court for racial discrimination in regards to the practice of charging increased fees to the English......

I wonder how this compares to the English unis charging Foreign (non British) students huge fees to attend? Why is it different? Genuine question...

It might turn out to be illegal for the Scottish Parliament to abolish fees for Scottish students and not for all the others in the EU.

It won't matter if it is, because their next policy will be to award a grant to Scottish students who take up education. It is definitely not illegal for a Scottish Parliament to make a grant available to Scottish people and not to others.

How the hell can scotland only charge the english welsh and northern irish tuition fees, while its free for them and anyone else in th eu?

How is this legal?

Member states must charge EU students the same that they charge their own students. Scotland isn't a separate member state in the EU, so the EU rulings about the fees that are charged to foreign students doesn't apply to students from the same member state. As we are the same member state as Scotland, within the UK, the rules do not apply to English students.

I wonder how this compares to the English unis charging Foreign (non British) students huge fees to attend? Why is it different? Genuine question...

I would have thought that because of our historical ties. We are supposed to be all part of the UK, Great Britain. We fight wars together, have the same Royal Family, same currency, same language.

I do sometimes think the Scots only want the benefits of being part of the UK but run a mile when it works the other way...

I would have thought that because of our historical ties. We are supposed to be all part of the UK, Great Britain. We fight wars together, have the same Royal Family, same currency, same language.

I do sometimes think the Scots only want the benefits of being part of the UK but run a mile when it works the other way...

Have you been to the North of Scotland, or is your oppinion based on the media.

Try living in snow no public transport,no motorways or dual carrageways, fuel 15% more than you pay. I pay my council tax @ £1500.00 and dont complain.we have no street lights, a road,refuse collection we have to walk 0.7 of a mile to the collection point.

I am happy with my lot you feel we have it easy up here come to the very North of Scotland and find out you would not last it.

I am Sheffield born and bread and proud of it, so you wind your neck in and put brain into gear before opening mouth.

With different governments......the Scots government has control over it's own education..they can spend their money how they want...like it or lump it them's the facts..

If Scotland gained its independence I doupt they'd continue to have free tuition fees, in fact, they'd continue to have have the £ as their currency wouldn't they?

Alex Salmond is a joker, most Scots, even those who vote SNP dont want independence, they're not stupid, they just dont trust Labour or the Tories.

Archived