No illegal drugs in Amy Winehouse.

I concur. This alcohol, drug loving individual had it all, and simply threw it all away. I have sympathy for those who have some incurable disease, not a pampered millionaire with a body destroyed by self induced drugs and alcohol.

I would define a disease as something that can be contracted by anyone without their knowledge or power.

Putting drugs into your body, legal or otherwise, is certainly avoidable.

That makes for a rather fluid definition when you take into account known risk factors for certain diseases, and the cause and effect nature of others. For example, emphysema might be a consequence of smoking, or of genetically-determined enzyme deficiency. How would you account for cardiovascular disease, for example, with its underlying atherosclerosis; risk factors include the avoidable (chronic alcoholism, smoking, obesity) and the unavoidable (genetically-determined hypercholesterolemia or diabetes).

It's certainly a handy definition for those who wish to ascribe blame, or who view certain conditions as a just consequence of their selection of ill-favoured lifestyle choices. The cirrhosis of liver disease might be sympathy-worthy when it's a consequence of the hepatitis B acquired from an accidental needle stick, but not when it's due to the hepatitis B acquired by a drug addict sharing a contaminated needle, or when the cirrhosis is due to chronic alcoholism.

It's all rather hypocritical and judgemental.

Why do you need to use the AMA to support your argument and not the BMA?

Maybe you should take a better look at the AMA. Its been proven wrong before and the current view of US physicians is that they feel it does not support the majority of them and their views (only about 20% of US physicians are members and many are not members on principle.)

Perhaps the WHO would be a better source?

I used the AMA because it was a clear statement about alcoholism from a (relatively) respected body of experts.

I know that the disease theory of alcoholism is contentious, but even those professional bodies that don't use it do acknowledge that alcoholism, or alcohol dependency, or whatever other phrase you choose to use is a serious condition.

I'm just tired of seeing people on here spout off about addiction like it's as simple as 'just say no', is all - and the opportunity to point out to that poster that some people see alcoholism as a disease, not that dissimilar to the ones he claimed to feel sympathy for, was too good to pass up.

But you're right, there's no easily-available statement from the BMA or WHO that says the same.

Ask the Home Secretary for the details, I just agree we need a line.

If we allow people to fill their veins with, say, heroin, why do we bother to force people to use seatbelts? Or safety goggles at work? Should it just be their own choice to mess themselves up?

The driver gets fined for not wearing a seatbelt, the employer gets fined if an employee is not wearing the required safety gear, nobody gets fined for folk taking drugs or alcohol, or an I being cynical?

She filled her body with drugs and alcohol until her frail little frame could take no more. As sad as it is, this is what killed her. Had she never taken drugs or drank copious amounts of alcohol, she would still be here now and probably for many many years to come.....snip...

"An initial postmortem examination proved inconclusive, and an inquest was opened and adjourned with no cause of death given"

We should wait for the inquest verdict before making assumptions and speculating IMO

"An initial postmortem examination proved inconclusive, and an inquest was opened and adjourned with no cause of death given"

We should wait for the inquest verdict before making assumptions and speculating IMO

I totally agree, but some folk just can't help themselves, they are like vultures.

Oh, ok then, she never drank or took drugs, my apologies :rolleyes:

Hardly a tragic death, self inflicted maybe, damage done by drugs and alcohol over the last few years. Never rated her as a "singer" anyway.

Regards

Angel.

My posts stays the same.....Good riddance to bad rubbish :)

Do you extend that attitude to all those 'self-inflicted' deaths which have come about through alcohol and/or other drug dependency, or have you taken a particular dislike to Amy Winehouse?

Do you extend that attitude to all those 'self-inflicted' deaths which have come about through alcohol and/or other drug dependency, or have you taken a particular dislike to Amy Winehouse?

Apparently she must be correct, my post went north, so the done thing must be to insult Amy.

I don't mind being banned for that, in fact I'd take it as a compliment, God bless Amy, I'm certain that history will be kinder to you than this forum.

Archived