No illegal drugs in Amy Winehouse.

Do you extend that attitude to all those 'self-inflicted' deaths which have come about through alcohol and/or other drug dependency, or have you taken a particular dislike to Amy Winehouse?

One small discrepancy with your argument, alcohol is legal, drugs are not.

Regards

Angel.

Hardly a tragic death, self inflicted maybe, damage done by drugs and alcohol over the last few years. Never rated her as a "singer" anyway.

Regards

Angel.

I would have expected that from you, so I'm not disappointed, sad but what the hell? :(

In your opinion, not in mine. I think LEGAL may give the game away.

Regards

Angel

It may be your opinion that alcohol isn't a drug, you are welcome to it; but rest of the world believes that it is. Would your opinion change if a legal drug directly caused the death of Amy Winehouse?

One small discrepancy with your argument, alcohol is legal, drugs are not.

Regards

Angel.

Would you have had sympathy for Amy Winehouse if her flaw had been alcoholism alone, rather than a dependency on alcohol and illegal substances? A poor role model due to being an 'alleged drunk' and not an 'alleged druggie'. Her death would have been equally self-inflicted.

Would you have had sympathy for Amy Winehouse if her flaw had been alcoholism alone, rather than a dependency on alcohol and illegal substances? A poor role model due to being an 'alleged drunk' and not an 'alleged druggie'. Her death would have been equally self-inflicted.

Leave it, I would much rather be in your company than his, these folk live perfect lives and have perfect children who never do anything wrong. I'm just glad that my son has ended up as a decent person, who doesn't put labels on folk, he's had his moments believe me.

Ask the Home Secretary for the details, I just agree we need a line.

If we allow people to fill their veins with, say, heroin, why do we bother to force people to use seatbelts? Or safety goggles at work? Should it just be their own choice to mess themselves up?

I don't agree with the detail of every law, but I accept them because I'm not an anarchist, or a criminal.

People who choose to use illegal drugs choose to be criminals - it's as simple as that.

As for turning the heroin/seatbelt question into alcohol/seatbelts, it's weak debating to answer a question with a question - that too is obvious.

"If we allow people to fill their veins with, say, heroin, why do we bother to force people to use seatbelts?"

Here's 2 possible answers-

1. I guess that those who support the current conventional legal view would say it's contradictory to force seatbelts to ensure safety, without forcing people to not take heroin.

2. (my answer) it's based on misunderstanding the reality of the situation- if safety truly were the aim of these laws and, the lawmakers understood the reality of drug use, the only rational thing to do would be to make drug use legal: because that would maximise safety.

Very, very few people die from taking heroin or any other drug- they deaths are caused by the fact that heroin is illegal- they die from taking a substance which is cut with poison and of undetermined strength.

In exactly the same way that people die after drinking alcohol in states where alcohol is illegal, so production is unregulated and, as a consequence, much of the alcohol is cut with poisons.

And, just as, in our society, the regulation of alcohol ensures that users can buy a product which is of fixed content and strength, so that users, can drink in relative safety: so, in a world where heroin is legal, users can use in relative safety.

Of course, with both alcohol and heroin, serious overuse/misuse over a long period of time, would lead to ill health/death, there's no evidence to show that it would be worse in the case of heroin.

The thing is that deaths from overdoses when using heroin, would be no more common than deaths from alcohol overdoses, as the heroin would be of guaranteed potency and free from added poisons.

The other harm attributed to drugs is crime. However, the vast majority of crime typically attributed to drug use, is, similarly, a consequence of the illegality of drugs.

Legalise them, and ensure a sensible regulated approach and sensible price, and most of the crime based on drugs would cease, because users could buy a better product, legally, of guaranteed potency, at a price as good of, or better than, anything the gangs could match.

Think about it when you read of another death from (illegal) drug overdose- it wasn't the drug that killed him/her, it was the fact that, due to the legal situation, they had to inject with a product that was of random potency and cut with bulking agents that are probably poisonous.

Archived