5.8 mag earthquake in Virginia

5.8 ? Not what I would call big but a sizeable shaker. When it's up around 7.5 to 8.5 that's BIG
I said to my wife that California would think it was a joke. I was right. We got shook up a bit but I didn't even think it was a quake.In D.C.They thought it was a terrorist attack.

I said to my wife that California would think it was a joke. I was right. We got shook up a bit but I didn't even think it was a quake.In D.C.They thought it was a terrorist attack.

Didn't get a thing in Fairfield County Buck

Obama felt it on the golf course on vacation, I bet he turned white

Well I've had my share of them at all hours of the day and night. The day before the Northridge quake our old cat hid under the bed and wouldn't come out.

The bad one was the Sylmar quake in 1971. Demolished a hospital and badly damaged a VA hospital also with more than 50 killed.

Well I've had my share of them at all hours of the day and night. The day before the Northridge quake our old cat hid under the bed and wouldn't come out.

The bad one was the Sylmar quake in 1971. Demolished a hospital and badly damaged a VA hospital also with more than 50 killed.

I was in Cupertino for six weeks in 1988 ( I think it was) and had just left, when the big quake occured in the San Francisco area in October.

Its a biggie for the East Coast (which has a VERY old and deep fault line under it) but small stuff for those who've lived on the West Coast for some period of time. I experienced a few while growing up there, most of them always happened at night.

I think why its such big news is that it happened in the day light and people were actually aware of it.

Its a biggie for the East Coast (which has a VERY old and deep fault line under it) but small stuff for those who've lived on the West Coast for some period of time. I experienced a few while growing up there, most of them always happened at night.

I think why its such big news is that it happened in the day light and people were actually aware of it.

There were a couple of times that we were awoken in the small hours by a sudden shaker

The missus: What's that?

Me: (Yawn) Oh just a quake somewhere. Get back to sleep :hihi:

I can understand though that a quake would be traumatic for those on the east coast just a class 1 hurricane on the west coast would scare the living daylights out of everyone from San Diego to Vancouver.

There were a couple of times that we were awoken in the small hours by a sudden shaker

The missus: What's that?

Me: (Yawn) Oh just a quake somewhere. Get back to sleep :hihi:

I can understand though that a quake would be traumatic for those on the east coast just a class 1 hurricane on the west coast would scare the living daylights out of everyone from San Diego to Vancouver.

We had one about 4 years ago here and it woke me (a first!).. Really weird to feel the entire bed shaking.. I just remember asking WTH is going on here? Poor BF just told me it was a dream and to go back to sleep :/

We had one about 4 years ago here and it woke me (a first!).. Really weird to feel the entire bed shaking.. I just remember asking WTH is going on here? Poor BF just told me it was a dream and to go back to sleep :/

Quakes can just about occur anywhere in the world although the probability is a lot higher in some places than in others.

According to the experts California is about 50 years well overdue for the BIg One

Do I worry? Nope not at all and it seems very few if any others worry either.

I follow the advice of the eartquake preparedness pundits though.

Plenty of bottled water, canned food, first aid supplies, flashlights, spare batteries and have a generator to power the fridge and ice box if the electricty supply takes a dump and a battery powered radio I also have a big propane powered outdoor barbecue with a side burner for heating water or canned food.

Finally a few bottles of the "good stuff" for myself and the missus and the neighbours to while away the long dark evening hours while we all join in singing "Kumbay-ya" :hihi:

Archived