5.8 mag earthquake in Virginia

There were a couple of times that we were awoken in the small hours by a sudden shaker

The missus: What's that?

Me: (Yawn) Oh just a quake somewhere. Get back to sleep :hihi:

I can understand though that a quake would be traumatic for those on the east coast just a class 1 hurricane on the west coast would scare the living daylights out of everyone from San Diego to Vancouver.

We're getting info that a class1 hurricane will pass through our state this weekend on its way to Maine. Don't know what its called and don't care. Its supposed to run on Connecticut's shore moving further east over Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard. The biggest one to hit CTwas back in 1938 and killed hundreds along the shore. We'll stay home off the streets and wait it out.:)

We're getting info that a class1 hurricane will pass through our state this weekend on its way to Maine. Don't know what its called and don't care. Its supposed to run on Connecticut's shore moving further east over Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard. The biggest one to hit CTwas back in 1938 and killed hundreds along the shore. We'll stay home off the streets and wait it out.:)

Well my fingers are crossed for you all. It's called Irene by the way.

I heard somewhere that if the Pacific ocean were 2 or 3 degrees warmer we'd be getting hurricans on a seasona basis also.

We did get something resembling a small tornado awhile back

Well my fingers are crossed for you all. It's called Irene by the way.

I heard somewhere that if the Pacific ocean were 2 or 3 degrees warmer we'd be getting hurricans on a seasona basis also.

We did get something resembling a small tornado awhile back

The current prediction is for it to pass to the east of Florida without touching down. I hope so because we have family in Melborne close to Daytona, and our son and his family are in Fort Myers far to the West. It will hit land in Norht Carolina probably tomorrow, and it s path after that takes it only a few miles to the east of us in Northen Connecticut, estimated speed then 85MPH. We have a large apartment complex less than 300yards to our south and hope that will act as a windbreak for us. Some locust trees are tall and only a few feet behind us. They're a big worry. Otherwise our roof is new, only done this year, and we hope it will be OK. The old one wouldn't have been.

We're getting info that a class1 hurricane will pass through our state this weekend on its way to Maine. Don't know what its called and don't care. Its supposed to run on Connecticut's shore moving further east over Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard.

It sounds similar to Gloria in (85?) Long Island got hit head on and we lost electricity for a week (and school :D) Lots of downed trees, power lines and heavy flooding for homes on the water. Dad had to work during the storm and said the worse was seeing possums flying and being killed :(

The remnants of Andrew passed over us in the 90s as well, but it wasnt as bad (lots of broken branches) Cant remember the last time a proper hurricane passed over LI.

Thoughts are with everyone...

It sounds similar to Gloria in (85?) Long Island got hit head on and we lost electricity for a week (and school :D) Lots of downed trees, power lines and heavy flooding for homes on the water. Dad had to work during the storm and said the worse was seeing possums flying and being killed :(

The remnants of Andrew passed over us in the 90s as well, but it wasnt as bad (lots of broken branches) Cant remember the last time a proper hurricane passed over LI.

Thoughts are with everyone...

We had some damage during Gloria. Some of the vynil siding on the house came away. A friend had his canoe come through a window of his house. That seems to have been the worst one to hit us since I've lived here. The East Coast gales in UK are very similar in strength, but their seafront houses are a lot stronger than ours.

Years ago when I was in my office catching up on some paperwork we got hit by a quake. After a few seconds I felt my chair slide backwards then a few seconds later saw my office girl staring up at me from under my desk. I must have been staring at the ceiling because I didnt see her get down there.

I asked her what she was doing there and she replied

"Didin't you know the safest place to get under is a doorway or a table?"

"Oh! That's why you're down there" I answered ( har ! har !)

The hurricane has finally gone by. We were lucky, never lost power, but there are 600, 000 people in Connecticut without power and likely to remain so for a while. There are some deaths, a canoeist fell out of the boat and hasn't been found. A woman was killed after her house caught fiire from a downed power line, and two firefighters who tried save her are both in ICU

The hurricane has finally gone by. We were lucky, never lost power, but there are 600, 000 people in Connecticut without power and likely to remain so for a while. There are some deaths, a canoeist fell out of the boat and hasn't been found. A woman was killed after her house caught fiire from a downed power line, and two firefighters who tried save her are both in ICU

Too bad about the casualties but glad to hear that the worst has passed. :thumbsup:

A candidate for the Darwin Award if ever there was one. It takes a 'special' type of idiot to go canoeing in a Hurricane. Only in America. :hihi:

Archived