5.8 mag earthquake in Virginia

A candidate for the Darwin Award if ever there was one. It takes a 'special' type of idiot to go canoeing in a Hurricane. Only in America. :hihi:
The man was attempting to get away from his house which was in imminent danger of being swept away. It takes a 'special' type of twerp like you to make a comment like that. Only on SF

they didn't open up a seperate thread for the hurricane, which although it turned out to be lesser than feared, still caused loss of life, unlike the quake.

Well sorry if i can't be everywhere. I gave a damn enought about our american friends to start the thread before it was on the news, it looked big to me, i wasn't to know nobody would be dead as a result and i'm damn glad nobody did die in the quake. I get blamed because i didn't also start a hurricane thread?

it just looks like the quake and the hurricane are in some way connected when they're not.

There is a connection.

The Americans get a girlie earthquake and it's all over the news when massive quakes in other countries get ignored.

Same goes for storms; the Philippines kops for loads with piles of dead but the US gets one and it's the worst thing in the world.

For the earth's most powerful nation; they're a bunch of woopsies.

There is a connection.

The Americans get a girlie earthquake and it's all over the news when massive quakes in other countries get ignored.

Same goes for storms; the Philippines kops for loads with piles of dead but the US gets one and it's the worst thing in the world.

Perhaps it made the news because earthquakes in Virginia are rather rare?

There is a connection.

What massive earthquakes in other countries get ignored for Chissake?

The Haiti, Japan and New Zealand quakes got major headlines in the US and American aid was the first to reach Haiti.

American aid to Japan surpassed that of any other country

The worst storm you've ever been in was a short shower of hailstones in Derbyshire.

I suggest you personally experience a class 2 or 3 hurricane and a 5.8 quake first before dismissing people who have lived through it as a bunch of woopsies........ tough guy :rant:

There is a connection.

both these stories were very newsworthy indeed. A quake of that magnitude is almost unknown on the eastern seaboard of the US, ditto hurricanes going up as far north as New England are also a rarity.

newsworthiness is because of how unusual an event is, not because it happens to be in the US or some other 'rich, white' country - though obviously people from the UK are going to be usually much more interested in what happens in the US than obscure countries that they would struggle to pinpoint on a map.

I was in the Philippines at the time you mention, at the same time half of Queensland was underwater about 60 Filipinos got killed by a landslide in Leyte following heavy rains - far more fatalities than what was suffered by Australia, but with next to no international news coverage. Difference was, flooding on that scale in Australia only occurs once in a long time, like every forty years or so. It's unusual.

Filipinos getting killed by a landslide in Leyte, Samar, or Mindanao following heavy rains is definitely not unusual, happens every few weeks, and is not much of a newsworthy story even in the Philippines itself, never mind outside. It's what people expect to happen.

when Typhoon Ondoy flooded Manila, that got a lot more coverage, because of its scale, but even that, the Philippines' biggest news story that year, wasn't much a of a news story really. Floods and typhoons is exactly what you expect to see in Luzon at that time of year, unlike large earthquakes in Virgina, or hurricanes in Connecticut.

Archived