Why Do We Drag Places Down..

Why is it that when a foreign holiday resort becomes mostly frequented by Brits abroad does it become an absolute hellhole, full of grotty, garish pubs offering endless supposed "happy hours" and serving bad John Smiths/Guinness etc

Bad restaurants successfully selling any old garbage on a plate as long as its CHEAP.

Pubs showing endless Fools and Horses episodes and having rubbish Karaoke acts masqurading as entertainment.

I find it quite embarassing to be honest, what the hell must other Europeans think of us.

Why is it that when a foreign holiday resort becomes mostly frequented by Brits abroad does it become an absolute hellhole, full of grotty, garish pubs offering endless supposed "happy hours" and serving bad John Smiths/Guinness etc

Bad restaurants successfully selling any old garbage on a plate as long as its CHEAP.

Pubs showing endless Fools and Horses episodes and having rubbish Karaoke acts masqurading as entertainment.

I find it quite embarassing to be honest, what the hell must other Europeans think of us.

Because Brits like the home away from home feeling I suppose, they look down on anyone that lives a different lifestlye...some, not all

They would probably dislike the alternative, which could be us not going, and spending so much money there.

Just cos you go on chav holidays doesn't mean we all do. Some places Brits go are fine. But if you go on First Choice and click low budget Magaluf or Bendidorm yes you will end up in some s*** tip that's turned into Shameless on Sea. But you get what you pay for.

Just cos you go on chav holidays doesn't mean we all do. Some places Brits go are fine. But if you go on First Choice and click low budget Magaluf or Bendidorm yes you will end up in some s*** tip that's turned into Shameless on Sea. But you get what you pay for.

Never been on a chav holiday in my life mate but I have seen these places in passing.

You never wander across a small Spanish town full of pot bellied Frenchmen, with bars selling watered down Konenbourg, showing endless Jaques Tati films and knocking out 2for1 l'escargot and chips.

We spend a lot of time in Spain, we don't do Benidorm, Fuengirola etc, that gets rid of most of the English/Irish pubs and bars, however you can't stop folk opening businesses. When we go to the Mijas Costa in a few weeks we will use only the one English bar/cafe, it's very nice and right on the beach. We will generally use Spanish places, but we know a very nice Italian and a great Chinese.

If we went to America we would eat many different nations cuisines, I think that avoiding anything British when overseas would be daft, the Brits are the only guys who keep their mini markets open on Sundays and during Spanish national holidays.

Do folk drag Blackpool and Skegness down, or is it that they are comfortable in such places? This is fine by me, I don't like these places, so I don't go to them, just like Spain really.

We went to St Lucia for a wedding few years back, quote a lot of Brits, not a chav in sight, I noticed all the buffett meals were geared towards English cuisine, no one in our American party complained about it, saying Brits seemed to be their best customers so why not cater to them...never saw anyone drunk eiither, except some Brits in the back seats of the plane that threw up on the floor, and that was 4pm flight , bit early to drink, not even close to cocktail hour :)

Never been on a chav holiday in my life mate but I have seen these places in passing.

You never wander across a small Spanish town full of pot bellied Frenchmen, with bars selling watered down Konenbourg, showing endless Jaques Tati films and knocking out 2for1 l'escargot and chips.

Well you said 'we', I assume what you actually meant was 'everybody else British' then, which is not the case. Some British people choose to go to a particular kind of resort which offers this and the resorts continue to offer it because it makes money. That doesn't mean every Brit holiday maker ruins wherever they go.

Incidentally the French have good weather in parts of their own country and tend to holiday at home. Germany, who also have poorer weather but have enough cash to holiday abroad and you find plenty of resorts catering to Germans with German football, German food and German entertainment.

Archived