Treatment at an NHS dentist: when is a crown considered cosmetic surgery..

... and not Band 3?

Well first and foremost I am sorry about yesterday’s thread asking about dental insurance, talking through my hat. I am Irish. I am not familiar with the NHS system (even though I have lived here five years – that will give you a clue as to how long I have been to see a dentist.)

A member who wishes to remain nameless was kind enough to send me a link to the NHS Choices website where I found out about the band system. Now without a doubt I know I am in the £204 band but trust me compared to the thousands I thought I would have to fork out this is pennies. I cannot believe after years of hiding I can have my smile back for this sum of money.

I have an appointment a week today at 1645. I know how much extricating pain lies ahead but I am excited that I have finally taken the step.

However, will the dentist give me crowns and nice things so easily or will they try and give me dentures, telling me crowns, although covered by NHS in some scenarios, would be cosmetic surgery in my case? One of the girls in work was told if she had a bridge it would be classed as cosmetic surgery and she could not have it.

I am trying to find out if I should not get my hopes up for next week or if they will indeed allow me have a crown for my chipped tooth at the front. Am I better off telling them I am in pain? Can anyone give me any tips in dealing with them?

Also will I know next week what needs to be done? Will my first appointment be a full consultation listing what needs to be done?

Thanks so much for your help.

I've just had a crown completed on the NHS with no questions asked. However, I had to pay extra and was offered three alternatives. £161 for the basic NHS metal crown. £450 for a porcelain crown or £550 for a gold crown. Didn't fancy metal or gold so went for the mid-range option.

I've just had a crown completed on the NHS with no questions asked. However, I had to pay extra and was offered three alternatives. £161 for the basic NHS metal crown. £450 for a porcelain crown or £550 for a gold crown. Didn't fancy metal or gold so went for the mid-range option.

I am completely lost.

How can you say you had that completed on NHS when they charged you for the crown? I thought if one needed say an extraction and two crowns the cost would still be £204, Band 3?

Thanks to all who helped here. I went yesterday. They are sending me to Cudworth to have everything done under sedation as they said I was too nervous to work on normally! I will be without a tooth in the front for two months while bones and muscles heal and then I will probably have a bridge but there are options. And everything fits into Band 3 I do believe!

Thanks so much for your help. It looks like I have a lot of pain ahead but I will get my smile back. There is a long waiting list for Cudworth I believe.

Archived