Irish (Republic) citizen applying for British citizenship.

I am Irish (Republic.) Next month (9th September) I will be living here five years.

Am I correct in saying that I can now apply for something or order right to remain (What is the correct term?) and one year from now apply for (dual) citizenship, take the test and pay the fee? I do not know why but I always thought it would be easier for me coming from Ireland to get citizenship.

Any advice would be appreciated – even to point me in the right direction of an application form! Hopefully there is somebody out there who has already done this. The website and phone lines are way too confusing.

Thanks for your help.

I am Irish (Republic.) Next month (9th September) I will be living here five years.

Am I correct in saying that I can now apply for something or order right to remain (What is the correct term?) and one year from now apply for (dual) citizenship, take the test and pay the fee? I do not know why but I always thought it would be easier for me coming from Ireland to get citizenship.

Any advice would be appreciated – even to point me in the right direction of an application form! Hopefully there is somebody out there who has already done this. The website and phone lines are way too confusing.

Thanks for your help.

ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) and then the citizenship test. As you're here under your EU passport, you wont need ILR. You would only need that if you are here under a non-EU passport and have a work/marriage visa.

This is booklet on a guide on how to naturalise yourself.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/guide_an.pdf

If not, can try googling for expat in the UK sites for more info

(I belong to an American based one called UK Yankee which is free to join and people are pretty quick with an answer. Will warn you that it has more of a focus of Americans coming into the UK. though there are few who are from Ireland and made the move to here)

Good luck!

Thanks alternageek! So what form does that booklet refer to? Do I need to wait one more year or is five enough? And does it cost anything?

The booklet just tells you the application process and how it works. Telling you the required time you need to be here to be able to send in and have an application processed.

You'll have to wait until you're here 5 years to apply. Once youre here for 5 years, complete the booklet I linked to above and pay the fee (Im not 100% on the cost, as I came here under birthright 6 years ago and my fee was only a couple hundred dollars - which apparently has gone up) Im not sure of the cost as its not clearly posted on the site

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/naturalisation/

This will link to all necessary forms and possible questions.

Again you might want to head over to UK Yankee as they might be able to answer questions better than I can, since a lot of people there have come through either on EU, marriage, education or work eligibility.

Also, when closer to when you apply, check back with the UK Border Agency (UKBA) website as the rules and fees are always changing...

When I pass thru Immigration on arriving in the UK they always stamp my U.S passort for a maximum stay of six months and "no right to seek employment" even though my U.S passport states that I was born in the United Kingdom.

I believe I've therefore lost my UK citizenship even though I was born there long before 1985 and both parents were British citizens.

When I pass thru Immigration on arriving in the UK they always stamp my U.S passort for a maximum stay of six months and "no right to seek employment" even though my U.S passport states that I was born in the United Kingdom.

I believe I've therefore lost my UK citizenship even though I was born there long before 1985 and both parents were British citizens.

Its a standard stamp for anyone entering in the UK regardless if you born here or not. I think I have similar in my old US passport (before I gained my UK one) When I go to the US I have to (legally) travel and enter on my US passport and when I come home I must enter on my UK passport.

You never lose your UK citizenship. My mother has lived in the US since 1971 (age 64) and only twice renewed her UK passport in that time. You can reapply for a British passport at anytime.

Archived