Irish (Republic) citizen applying for British citizenship.

I could imagine a problem with US Immigration if you landed with a UK passport and told them you were a US citizen

He has to enter the US on his US passport, but can travel into the UK on his British passport. Ive done it multiple times with no questions asked about not having any entry stamps to countries travelled. I do keep my UK passport in reach just in case US immigration ask, but its never been an issue

Why do you want it Eurovision? My husband's lived here 20 years on an Irish passport and has never applied for a British one despite being entitled both through residency and because he was actually born in the UK while his parents were working here. It has never made any difference, is there a particular reason you want one?

No reason at all. Pride of where I am from but also pride of where I am now I guess.

Some countries insist that if you take out their citizenship you have to renounce any other that you had - I *think* the USA used to be like this but I'm not sure.

As for collecting passports I have UK (birth) and Canadian. I know someone who has UK, Canadian, Austraila and New Zealand.... the legacy of Empire etc..

I think that one like me who has taken out US citizenship and had to "renounce allegience to all foreign kings and potentates" during the swearing in ceremony might have a problem with US Immigration if they were to find me traveling with a current UK passport in addition to my US passport.

Not much point in having a UK passort anyway as my trips to UK are only for a short duration and I certainly have no intention of looking for employment there plus I have no living family remaining in UK.

If one day in the future I were to be in the extremely sad and unfortunate situation of losing all my family here and like an old elephant wanting to return to die in the place I was born in then it would make sense to apply for a UK passport but then again I've been away so long from the UK that I'm no longer entitled to any benefits.

I could arrange to have my pensions sent to me from the US but I'm not entitled to any healthcare in UK so all this is a moot point

Archived