Speed Camera's - Cash Cows.

That would be fine if the intention was to warn others of their speeding because you disagree with their speeding..it isn't, it's to warn others of a police or camera presence through empathy

Would you similarly warn a benefit thief or a burglar that the police or authorities were "on their case" in order to reduce crime? Or would it be for reasons of empathy?

A weak analogy if i may say so.

I have no empathy for benefit thiefs, burglars or drunk drivers (if we are sticking to a motoring theme) and i neither have empathy for habitual speeders either but i also dislike the robbery of ordinary people going about their business under the feeble guise of 'road safety'. As Heading north pointed out earlier, why not double the points and do away with the fine?....

The answer is because its not about 'road safety'... its about revenue.

No, it's exactly the opposite of "grassing up" drunk drivers. Instead of taking an action which ensures a lawbreaker will be punished, by flashing your lights you are taking an action which ensures they will not.

Again, illustrating my point that its not about road safety, its about £££

A weak analogy if i may say so.

I have no empathy for benefit thiefs, burglars or drunk drivers (if we are sticking to a motoring theme) and i neither have empathy for habitual speeders either but i also dislike the robbery of ordinary people going about their business under the feeble guise of 'road safety'. As Heading north pointed out earlier, why not double the points and do away with the fine?....

The answer is because its not about 'road safety'... its about revenue.

You can't ignore the connection with cash cow and the offence of speeding as they're linked. If you are a conscientious driver and have been caught off guard then it seems sensible that a fine and points would act as a deterrent and focus your attention on the reasons you put yourself in in the first place. You may consider them a cash cow but that's only evident by the amount of times you break the law. Don't break the law and the whole question becomes null and void. Points as well as cash cows could both be deemed a "feeble guise" to safety as those who are habitual speeders will not be deterred by both either way. If the fine wasn't levied, who knows who may become a serial speeder as the fine it seems is more of an issue than the points.

But no doubt you will be the one of first to moan when everything you go to buy costs massive amounts because of the high costs of transport as a result of them not being able to make any reasonable progress.

Then the cheapest, most efficient methods of reducing transportation costs will win against the competition. Whatever they are.

That's a nonsensical sentence. The signs are the warning. People who ignore them don't need to be warned, they need to be penalised.

So the question has to be, what do you think reduces speeding more of the two? The moral of it may be questionable, but its true. Absolutely everybody slows down when warned of a speed camera. Few take notice of speed signs.

If the object is to slow all drivers down unpenalised then I am correct. If the object is slow a few down and penalise the rest. Then you are correct.

Unfortunately, its you who's speaking nonesense.

Archived