Speed Camera's - Cash Cows.

Okay, I can't understand how someone can be so blasé about their government lying to them, but I can't make you care, you seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that it's about driving when it's about government accountability.

I think its you who seems to be getting more upset about it than anyone else, just because they're using the word "safety" rather than "speed". And until you see a correlation between the word safety and driving at the limit for a particular road I'm afraid you'll never understand - just like you can't understand that I'm happy to drive at the limits and make sure I do.

There are worse things in life to get worried about and as long as the cameras are catching people breaking the posted speed limit, it makes no odds to me. Just like traffic wardens or red light cameras. I don't park badly or jump red lights.

Really, let me just check.

No, I'm not really very upset, barely registers on the "Do I give a" scale.

But since it's an issue under discussion we may as well discuss the actual issue, instead of getting side tracked into a debate about driving behaviour.

You're still trying to talk about speed and safety, despite it not being at all relevant to the way the government behaves.

The government have you well and truly suckered in. You don't care that they're lying because you happen to agree with the end results. The road to hell and all that! Or is more of the ends justifying the means?

Ive work on Carlisle st for nine years never seen a single accident

There have been accidents on Carlisle Street, not frequently though. The camera is an effective tool to catch people who are breaking the law though, which does happen frequently on this road.

The same can be said of the stretch of road running over the bridge at Wortley ( over the stocksbridge by-pass) where the camera van lurks on a weekly basis .

See above.

The cameras are not just there to improve road safety. They are there to catch people who are breaking the law by speeding. Speed limits are not optional. If you dont want a fine and points then don't speed.

I'm not sure why people think that it is acceptable to break the speed limit and then moan about being caught. Would you have the same opinion about drink driving? driving on the phone?

On the other hand though, they do raise much needed revenue too. The money raised in fines is an optional tax that only idiots who pay no attention have to pay. It's great for the vast majority of drivers!

It's curious the way that so many cameras seem to be positioned on those roads where you might, from the appearance of the road, be led to assume that the limit would be higher e.g. Penistone Road, wide four-lane dual carriageway, not residential (30 mph), Carlisle Street, wide straight road, not residential, industrial units (30 mph), Rivelin Valley Road, open countryside on both sides for most of the way (40mph) and so on. It just gives you that suspicion that if councils set the speed limit artificially low and then stick a camera on it, they will make lots of money.

It's curious the way that so many cameras seem to be positioned on those roads where you might, from the appearance of the road, be led to assume that the limit would be higher e.g. Penistone Road, wide four-lane dual carriageway, not residential (30 mph), Carlisle Street, wide straight road, not residential, industrial units (30 mph), Rivelin Valley Road, open countryside on both sides for most of the way (40mph) and so on. It just gives you that suspicion that if councils set the speed limit artificially low and then stick a camera on it, they will make lots of money.

The speed limit signs do give the game away. As long as they're observed in the first place.

That doesn't alter the fact that they are (in some cases) inappropriate, and that people breaking the speed limit are therefore not dangerous. Which makes safety camera a lie.

The fact that the fines are easily avoided by sticking to the unreasonably low limit isn't the point.

That doesn't alter the fact that they are (in some cases) inappropriate, and that people breaking the speed limit are therefore not dangerous. Which makes safety camera a lie.

The fact that the fines are easily avoided by sticking to the unreasonably low limit isn't the point.

I really doesn't bother me. I'll set out in good time for the journey and observe the limit.

For those that feel that extra 10mph will make that extra special difference to their lives on the road.....

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/

Archived