Speed Camera's - Cash Cows.

Does this mean that the cameras in these spots don't improve safety there?

No ,they just raise revenue, the sole intended purpose of speed cameras.

Im not totally against speed cameras, I have a soft spot for one with a blazing trye around its neck. Its a kind of poetic justice ,and always brings a smile to my face.

I think you might have missed my point. The fact that it's not possible to use the enforcement camera where the danger exists doesn't mean that it's acceptable to put it on a safe section which just happens to have a higher chance of them making money.

And where does the money go?

Who pays for the air ambulance to attend crashes on the dangerous bits?

I think you might have missed my point. The fact that it's not possible to use the enforcement camera where the danger exists doesn't mean that it's acceptable to put it on a safe section which just happens to have a higher chance of them making money.

The one which lurks on Halifax rd on a weekly basis proves your point. Ive driven up and down that road for over 20 years on a daily basis ,and ive NEVER known of a fatal accident there. Its a wide open stretch of road ,which invite motorists to open the throttle a little ,and for me ,that is the one and only reason for the camera van being sited there.

The one which lurks on Halifax rd on a weekly basis proves your point. Ive driven up and down that road for over 20 years on a daily basis ,and ive NEVER known of a fatal accident there. Its a wide open stretch of road ,which invite motorists to open the throttle a little ,and for me ,that is the one and only reason for the camera van being sited there.

Then perhaps you ought to do a search of the threads on SF...

And where does the money go?

Who pays for the air ambulance to attend crashes on the dangerous bits?

Again you're entirely missing the point. What the money is spent on doesn't matter. The fact that the camera is not serving the purpose of safety is the point.

If the council took up a bit of burglary and stole your tele, would me saying "well what was the money spent on" justify it? Of course not and the same applies here.

Of course they are serving their "purpose of safety". Making people slow down and stick to the speed limit whilst punishing those morons who dont is absolutely contributing to safety.

The camera operators are not stealing anything from you. If you do the illegal act of speeding... you pay the price. its YOUR fault that you get fined. Your comparison with the council stealing a tv is just silly.

The fixed camera near the Red Lion at Grenoside has been empty for months, but has been re-enabled this week.

Yeah , i saw them there this week with all their gadgets tampering with the said cash collector . I just assumed they were collecting the film from it to see how many mororists they had fleeced recently.

Archived