Speed Camera's - Cash Cows.

They are a blunt tool as you say. So when the speed limit was reduced on the snake pass from 60 to 50, the entire length of the road had the new limit applied.

This includes the sections where even the road planners would probably accept that it is safe to travel at 60.

That's the ONLY section that ever has enforcement on it though. Which makes it pretty clear to me that the camera is not there to improve safety.

I no longer have reference to the articles, but a few years ago the AA did a comparative survey of the 10 safest stretches of road in the country and the 10 most dangerous accident blackspots - no prizes for guessing which had the most cameras.

Arbitrary limts will never be effective unless they are mercilessly Policed/monitored, because they generate total lack of respect for the legislation concerned. There's a stretch of the A1 (In Lincolnshire I think) where some terraced houses open their door onto a footpath several feet wide next to a national limit dual carriageway, in contrast to which I can think of open, safe semirural dual carriageways with no habitation but 40mph limits.

When the limits make sense, people will obey them, but until they do the majority of drivers will continue to exceed the limits.

Failure - deliberate or otherwise - to abide by the laws of the road does, necessarily, make someone a bad driver. That's axiomatic.

Rubbish!

So I am driving down the road, and halfway down I go over a speedbump and one of my brake lights blows. I drive to the end of the road without realising I have a blown brake light.

So I drove down the road towards the speedhump as a good driver and drove from the speedhump to the end of the road as a bad driver? Such narrow definitions of bad driving are actually counterproductive in the 'drive' for better driving standards.

John X

Archived