Speed Camera's - Cash Cows.

Figures released today by the government show a dramatic drop in serious accidents over a six-year period. That is a total fall of 74%...since speed cameras were introduced Source

Seems that the twaddle foisted upon us that "Speed Cameras" are there to stop accidents has been proved wrong now. Seems like a study on them has come up with a different reason - as many of us thought from their onset - most are just simple "revenue collectors".

What makes this story credible is that it was carried out by the DOT, aye the Department of Transport, a Government body.

So there you have it, we are been fleeced again it would seem.

http://www.walletpop.co.uk/2011/08/24/speed-cameras-revealed-as-dangerous-money-spinners/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk-bb%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk3%7C75327

Regards

Angel.

Having followed the link above I see that it not a DfT study.

It is an article circulated in learned websites like the "Daily Mail" and the" Tax Payers Alliance"

There is no study.

What the article refers to is a list of sites on which local authorities have placed the information requested by the Department for Transport. This is data not a report. People of various persuasions are free to interpret.

You have started a thread with inaccurate information ie "a study on them has come up.....Department of Transport, a Government body..."

You have then compouded the inaccuracy by suggesting that the Dft have suggested""Speed Cameras" are there to stop accidents has been proved wrong " On their site The DfT make no such comment.

It might well be that in the future when you have read the all the sites that you are correct in your view of what the data says.

In the meantime in the interest of balance I have included another interpretation-

The number of deaths and serious injury crashes has plummeted on Kent's roads since speed cameras were introduced.

"Figures released today by the government show a dramatic drop in serious accidents over a six-year period. SourceThat is a total fall of 74%" Kent online

Seems that the twaddle foisted upon us that "Speed Cameras" are there to stop accidents has been proved wrong now. Seems like a study on them has come up with a different reason - as many of us thought from their onset - most are just simple "revenue collectors".

What makes this story credible is that it was carried out by the DOT, aye the Department of Transport, a Government body.

http://www.walletpop.co.uk/2011/08/24/speed-cameras-revealed-as-dangerous-money-spinners/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk-bb%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk3%7C75327

Regards

Angel.

Derbyshire published their data years ago but never let anyone outside the road safety industry know about it (very poor PR). If you care to have a look beyond any of your simplistic and spoon-fed bigotry I could point you towards them. The stats prove that PIC's and KSI's across the board have reduced significantly since installation of both fixed and mobile camera sites. SOME sites saw an increase, the article is right but no-one ever claimed the camera was the perfect solution.

South Yorkshire published theirs and the figures were an incomplete mess and they were taken down from their site because of that. Maybe, since then they have re-published data that does not have tankshot holes in it, I'll have to look again.

The present Govt. insists that Councils must publish and I have not heard anything in the "trade press" to say that any have refused. More like, the committee that is the Safety Camera Partnership is still looking for a bean-counter - don't get me wrong, they do a good job but are incapable of taking an opportunity of explaining what they do and why they do it. Hence the "man-in-the-pub-said" garbage that is spouted on here and elsewhere that is mostly looking for a partial report/survey/study that backs up the cliches and received "wisdom" - bigotry, by the way, is when you ignore evidence to the contrary of what you believe to be true.

I look forward to when the data is published whatever it says or proves. Then we can get on with the facts and stop this never-ending drivel/debate.

Reading the link I notice the following;

"According to the Daily Mail", "do gooders", "ORWELLIAN", "giving our money away to EU" (no, honest) and "total idiots that are pedestrians".

So we know where this is coming from, a load of right-wing whingeing car drivers who read the Daily Mail, feel that pedestrians are some sort of threat and think that speed cameras come from Brussels. Nutters, in other words.

The daily mail never!.

Regards

Angel.

Yaaawwwwwnnnnnn Who would've thought that

Well, at least that's the conclusion you can draw from the thread on speed cameras.

It's been proven now that speed cameras do nothing to improve road safety. By the department of transport no less!

But if you make a complaint about it, about the supposed reason for their existence being a lie, about having been lied to for over a decade as they sprang up everywhere. Well, half of the posters respond with the comment "don't speed".

Are they just missing the point? It's not a thread about how to avoid being caught by a speed camera, it's about how the road safety cameras are nothing of the sort, it's about how a lie has been used to spread them across the country.

Maybe these posters are so busy being self righteous (and I've never had a fine or points from a camera) that they miss the point.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=845736

Original thread for reference.

Maybe these posters are so busy being self righteous (and I've never had a fine or points from a camera) that they miss the point.

That would be a correct summation of the issue.

I'm all for road safety measures - but isolated speed cameras aren't the answer.

Nonsense.

If they are that hard pressed why are they speeding and burning more fuel?

Maybe their time is worth more than the extra petrol used.

It's certainly not nonsense that limits have been reduced on many roads for no good reason.

Well, at least that's the conclusion you can draw from the thread on speed cameras.

It's been proven now that speed cameras do nothing to improve road safety. By the department of transport no less!

But if you make a complaint about it, about the supposed reason for their existence being a lie, about having been lied to for over a decade as they sprang up everywhere. Well, half of the posters respond with the comment "don't speed".

Are they just missing the point? It's not a thread about how to avoid being caught by a speed camera, it's about how the road safety cameras are nothing of the sort, it's about how a lie has been used to spread them across the country.

Yesterday's news

Archived