Social taboos- are there any left?

This thread seems to have wandered off topic a bit.

There are still some social taboos, ie subjects which most people are uncomfortable talking/joking about, or being confronted with in the media

death (but not funerals)

cancer - the physical reality of it

paedophilia

incest

menstruation and the menopause

religious beliefs (except in controlled contexts)

older people's sexuality/sex lives

to name but a few

How do you explain why I, coming from Sheffield, am not a criminal with low moral standards? According to you, because most of the factories shut under Thatcher, I was destined to be a degenerate.

How many probables do you want me to throw in the mix? Not everyone was "doingalright".

Sorry to bring politics into it but for me the Labour party are at fault for a lot of the social ills of this country, yes the Thatcher government de-industrialised Britain which had a devastating effect on communities, but I'm talking about decency and morals.

It took hundreds of years to happen, but the early part of the 20th century was when this country, on the whole, became civilised with high standards of moral decency, even the working class masses that that lived in slums were, on the whole, good people with self respect and structured lives.

I could go on and on and on here but basically, the left of Labour viewed/views traditional social norms as outmoded nonsense, and so has spent decades attempting to do away with them, and it looks like they have been quite succesful, it seems that all the worst parts of Britain where there is high unemployment, little or no discipline in schools and high teenage pregnancy etc, are in the places where Labour lefties run the local authority.

There are so many factors that cause social degradation I don't know how you can pin the blame entirely on a political party.

This thread seems to have wandered off topic a bit.

There are still some social taboos, ie subjects which most people are uncomfortable talking/joking about, or being confronted with in the media

death (but not funerals)

cancer - the physical reality of it

paedophilia

incest

menstruation and the menopause

religious beliefs (except in controlled contexts)

older people's sexuality/sex lives

to name but a few

True, one or two of those haven't been dealt with mainstream tv/film/comedy at depth (some have) we've had full frontal shots in TV (male/female), lesbian & gay relations, all kind of swear words etc?

Sorry to bring politics into it but for me the Labour party are at fault for a lot of the social ills of this country, yes the Thatcher government de-industrialised Britain which had a devastating effect on communities, but I'm talking about decency and morals.

It took hundreds of years to happen, but the early part of the 20th century was when this country, on the whole, became civilised with high standards of moral decency, even the working class masses that that lived in slums were, on the whole, good people with self respect and structured lives.

I could go on and on and on here but basically, the left of Labour viewed/views traditional social norms as outmoded nonsense, and so has spent decades attempting to do away with them, and it looks like they have been quite succesful, it seems that all the worst parts of Britain where there is high unemployment, little or no discipline in schools and high teenage pregnancy etc, are in the places where Labour lefties run the local authority.

Or a right wing government leaving those Labour held areas to hang out and dry?

Archived