Suitcase damaged from airline ?

:help:just got back from my hols , suitcase got damaged (wheel got knocked off) , i can no longer pull it , the insurance company need me to take it to a repair shop and get a detailed report on the damage , does anyone have any ideas who can repair suitcases , even though this case can not be repaired, has all the hinges & bolts are snapped off from the the wheel:confused::help:

Had this happen a few times and just accepted it, claiming is not woth the bother for a suitcase.
It's worth bothering if it's a decent suitcase.

We had one damaged 3 years ago. Reported it to the luggage handlers at the airport, who gave us a report form and reference number. Filled in the form, took a couple of photos and sent it off. Took about 10 minutes to do plus the cost of a stamp. New replacement suitcase delivered to the door, no excess, no hassle.

It's worth bothering if it's a decent suitcase.

We had one damaged 3 years ago. Reported it to the luggage handlers at the airport, who gave us a report form and reference number. Filled in the form, took a couple of photos and sent it off. Took about 10 minutes to do plus the cost of a stamp. New replacement suitcase delivered to the door, no excess, no hassle.

The bit in bold is key OP.

Are you claiming off your own insurance? Or are you going through the baggage handlers insurance?

Claim off the airline but if you have to go through your insurance and have to pay excess claim that off the airline.

Give them ample time to settle but inform them immediately that you will proceed through small claims court if they try to fob you off (as they always do), they will also have to pay costs.

I've taken on Holiday/travel companys only twice and won compensation twice, they try to wear you down but the secret is to inform them initaly of you intentions and give them ample time before issuing a final notice of starting proceedings, we got a full holiday refund from 'Firstchoice' and refund plus damages from Thomsons.

We got back from Tenerife two weeks ago, landed at Gatwick, didn't realise my girlfriends suitcase was broken until the following day. It had been locked a the zip had been broken off, contents had been disturbed but nothing stolen, called the airline (Monarch) who apologised and offered a new suitcase or a cheque for £30. We took the cheque option.

Archived