Cold Callers for Accident Claims

We've had a group of blokes cold calling around here today. I opened the door to some middle aged bloke leaning on the wall all casual like. He started asking if i had been in any accidents over the last few years, than anyone in the house and then anyone in my family or friends.

Have these claims companies been cold calling for long or is this a new thing?

Judging by all the ads on TV it must be an extremely lucrative racket.

I don't understand why this is. As they all claim that the beneficiary receives 100% of the compensation and their costs are met in full by the person responsible for the accident, where is the huge profit? Surely they are only entitled to reasonable costs.

They must get quite a bit of money from each claim if they are willing to sink so low as to send people knocking on peoples doors to try and drum up more trade. This compensation culture is getting out of hand. People hanging around hospitals, looking for damaged cars and knocking on doors and now even resorting to cold calling.

We've had a group of blokes cold calling around here today. I opened the door to some middle aged bloke leaning on the wall all casual like. He started asking if i had been in any accidents over the last few years, than anyone in the house and then anyone in my family or friends.

Have these claims companies been cold calling for long or is this a new thing?

It's very much illegal. Get the name of the company from them, and ideally a business card, then call the Ministry of Justice, who regulate these people.

These are, by the way, claims management companies, not solicitors.

Judging by all the ads on TV it must be an extremely lucrative racket.

I don't understand why this is. As they all claim that the beneficiary receives 100% of the compensation and their costs are met in full by the person responsible for the accident, where is the huge profit? Surely they are only entitled to reasonable costs.

It's lucrative for the claims companies because smaller solicitors firms pay them for the claims. Smaller law firms are losing work because more and more people would rather, for reasons beyond me, go to a claims company than to a solicitor direct. As a business, it leaves the small firms with little choice but to buy claims from these people, who sell them to law firms for £600+ a time.

I personally think they should be banned (claims management companies).

Turning to huge profit - there actually isn't on the vast, vast majority of claims for a solicitor, particularly if these companies are used, as average costs on a road traffic accident are about £1000ish. So for each claim, which can take a year or so, £400 profit. The joys of fixed costs.

They must get quite a bit of money from each claim if they are willing to sink so low as to send people knocking on peoples doors to try and drum up more trade. This compensation culture is getting out of hand. People hanging around hospitals, looking for damaged cars and knocking on doors and now even resorting to cold calling.

See what I said above - all those things are illegal.

Surely they are only entitled to reasonable costs.

What is “reasonable”?

£100 + an hour for a solicitor

£20 for a phone call

Doctor’s reports

Think of a number and but a nought on the end ………….. and people wonder why car insurance is so high ………. Don’t forget where there is blame there is a claim.

It's very much illegal. Get the name of the company from them, and ideally a business card, then call the Ministry of Justice, who regulate these people.

These are, by the way, claims management companies, not solicitors.

I wouldn't have a clue what the company was called. All the med were wearing tacky suits and looked like car sales men. I never asked for a car. I just fobbed him off as fast as i could.

Archived