Diesel Vs Petrol

Why do diesels pull better when in the right gear but go flat after a certain amount of revs but petrol start to pull later in the revs?

Im looking for a new car but dont know whether the economy of a diesel is better than the enjoyment of a petrol?

Any help appreciated.

Why do diesels pull better when in the right gear but go flat after a certain amount of revs but petrol start to pull later in the revs?

Im looking for a new car but dont know whether the economy of a diesel is better than the enjoyment of a petrol?

Any help appreciated.

There's not much difference in costs these days. The cost of diesel has soared over recent years and diesel cars cost more....

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/petrol-versus-diesel-which-is-cheaper-/248139

Any help appreciated.

If you've got the money then go for the enjoyment of a petrol. On the other hand, if you've got the money go for the economy of a diesel.

Swings and roundabouts ;)

Any help appreciated.

I think unless you do serious mileage there isn't a massive difference economy wise these days, as someone else said.

If you enjoy petrol cars more, then go for that. I prefer [turbo] diesels regardless of costs. Though when younger I preferred petrol's.

Generally much less to go wrong on a diesel, so they would always be my preferred choice.

Since switching to diesels about 6 years back i've not had a single breakdown.

Saying that i'll probably blow my engine tomorrow now. :hihi:

I think unless you do serious mileage there isn't a massive difference economy wise these days, as someone else said.

Although true, you could get a diesel with over 180bhp that has similar economy to a 3 door small petrol engined car with 80bhp.

Which would you rather have :hihi:

could just be coincidence but the maintenance of my petrol car was far higher than my diesel - ie new exhausts etc - my diesel which is around 60,000miles now hasn't yet had a new exhaust. However, I do a lot more mileage in my diesel. Overall I prefer my diesel, but my petrol had more ooomf when pulling away from traffic lights.

Don't forget too that many engine suppliers are downsizing in a big way now, using turbos or other technology, giving really efficient engines, whether you go for diesel or petrol/gasoline. Then of course it's down to individual driver and their style !

Diesels are not good choices for small local runabouts. No matter how efficient and cleaner they burn they still get clogged up with soot and "treacle". I've seen loads with diesel particulate filter, EGR valve and MAF sensor issues and I think it will get worse when these new 1.3L sized diesels become more prevalent in the second hand market.

I love my diesels but if my place of work was close (ie just a few miles away) then I'd think twice.

Diesels are not good choices for small local runabouts. No matter how efficient and cleaner they burn they still get clogged up with soot and "treacle". I've seen loads with diesel particulate filter, EGR valve and MAF sensor issues and I think it will get worse when these new 1.3L sized diesels become more prevalent in the second hand market.

I love my diesels but if my place of work was close (ie just a few miles away) then I'd think twice.

Indeed, wouldn't consider a diesel with a DPF as a run around. It's not like EGRs give enough grief, but at least they don't cost a fortune to clean / replace (unless they do in the swirl flaps in a BMW / Vauxhall)

Archived