Diesel Vs Petrol

the first bit is they (denzels) have more torque at the driven wheel and often a turbo which will naturally run out of boost sooner or later. Petrols usually rev higher. HTH.

For an engine with similar power outputs they will have a similar torque at the driving wheels.

I'd agree that it's 'Horses for courses'.

We've got a couple of diesel cars, and a couple of petrol ones.

The small diesel (1.4), we've had for 5 years, and does short (<1.5 miles) journeys most of the time. No issues and 50mpg.

The small petrol (1.4), we've had for a few months, mainly town driving <6 miles per journey. No issues but only around 30mpg.

The larger Diesel is also quite new, having downgraded from a 1.9 to a 1.6tdi. Only had this one a couple of months, but in just over 5000 miles i'm averaging 50mpg.

The large petrol (3.5V8 ) I've had around 5 years, only do about 3K miles pa, and average is around 15mpg.

Although diesel vehicles are more expensive to purchase, and diesel fuel costs more, you will get a better residual value when it comes to re-sale time.

I'd argue that modern common rail diesel engines are going to be just as expensive as petrol engines to maintain, especially pumps and injectors.

So in my case it's diesel for the daily grind, and petrol to put a smile on my face when the sun shines.

The costs will be higher especially if you have a DPF that needs cleaning and filling every couple of years or so.

I've always serviced my own cars - service cost is about £35 for a major service four times a year. Diesel costs are about the same as petrol all told, the fuel is cheaper in terms of cost per mile. I once did the numbers and the break even point for someone *not* doing their own servicing and buying a year old car from a dealer was 20,000 miles a year.

For someone doing their own servicing buying a secondhand car break even is after 15000 miles (regardless of how many years it takes to get there). As soon as you have done that you have paid back the "diesel premium" that a secondhand car has and after that it's all gravy

I prefer diesels, regardless of the economy - although that is nice.

I have two cars, one petrol, one diesel. They are similar in weight, size and power. They are similarly quiet and responsive to drive. One has about half as much torque again as the other, and does 35% more miles per gallon. Both are very reliable.

Torque is actually useful in everyday driving - torque means I change gear less often and the car is quick at everyday speeds. Sure, the petrol has more power at the top end, but I never get there. Acceleration beyond 80mph or so I utterly irrelevant. It's torque that flings you out of corners after all, and they're the fun bits ;)

I've not driven this diesel in anger (it's not really the car for that to be honest) but I tool my previous 4 door diesel saloon (2.4 litre) to northern Scotland, and if it is performance and fun you want then I can tell you that there is a bloke somewhere who had a 330ci who will tell you that a diesel is plenty quick enough in the real world - as will my mate who was driving a Chimerea 450 behind us and watching in amusement - although he will admit that it stretched his car more than he'd expected to keep up.

I've had two diesels and not found them expensive to maintain - I replaced the mass air flow meter on the first one and I think this one is on the way out, but they are on petrol cars too. Other than that, and routine belts and stuff, neither engine has put a foot wrong in 150,000 miles or so.

Archived