Diesel Vs Petrol

No contest, diesel every time for me, I've has 4 1.9 tdi's in the past 16 years, and am just about to step up to a 2.2 tdi. They tend to be more reliable than petrol, due to fewer electrics I guess.

However if you expect to be stuck in traffic jams on a regular basis remember they rev at circa 1000, so you're burning far more fuel than a petrol with a low rev tick over.

No contest, diesel every time for me, I've has 4 1.9 tdi's in the past 16 years, and am just about to step up to a 2.2 tdi. They tend to be more reliable than petrol, due to fewer electrics I guess.

However if you expect to be stuck in traffic jams on a regular basis remember they rev at circa 1000, so you're burning far more fuel than a petrol with a low rev tick over.

My diesel mondeo idles at about 800 rpm... the fuel computer says it uses 0.1 gall/hr at idle..

That was the case a few years ago when diesel pumps were all mechanical, but it's a different story these days, most modern diesels have electronic involvement/control & common rail systems, not to mention potential turbo, egr & associated problems!

Diesel pumps are still mechanical - you need one to generate the high rail pressures. You also have to have mechanical injectors to open at the right time.

Archived