Diesel Vs Petrol

From past experience petrol cars have been much more reliable than diesel cars maybe because in petrol cars there is less to go wrong?

The engines are similar but different. An 'old' diesel is simpler than a modern petrol. A modern diesel is more complicated than an 'old' petrol.

Modern versions of both are quite complicated.

The engines are similar but different. An 'old' diesel is simpler than a modern petrol. A modern diesel is more complicated than an 'old' petrol.

Modern versions of both are quite complicated.

The new common rail diesels fitted to most cars are terribly unreliable or so ive heard?

The new common rail diesels fitted to most cars are terribly unreliable or so ive heard?

Untrue, based on the volumes sold a few bad stories is not indicative of their reliability

Plenty of other stories of CR diesels with interstellar mileage, which have only had routine servicing (ask taxi drivers!)

In any case, petrol cars will soon all be common rail, with high pressure pumps using exactly the same technology

As emporer ming says, there are diesel cars doing tens of thousands of miles each and every day. look at the back of cars as you drive around - most new ones seem to be diesel - and you don't see many cars broken down.

Personally I've done 130k or so with two diesel engines in the last 8 years or so and I've not had any problems.

As emporer ming says, there are diesel cars doing tens of thousands of miles each and every day. look at the back of cars as you drive around - most new ones seem to be diesel - and you don't see many cars broken down.

Personally I've done 130k or so with two diesel engines in the last 8 years or so and I've not had any problems.

Which engine is it as ive heard the TDCI engines in fords are common rail?

Committed petrol heads hate diesel, folk converted to diesel don't hate petrol, we just find in diesel vehicles something that suits us, we are not car fanatics, and have no issue with car fanatical petrol heads.

That is how I feel about matters, I don't love my car, I quite like it as long as it serves me well, I really go for an overall 45 mpg, and don't mind a 0 to 60 of 10 seconds.

How do you guys feel?

Diesel for me! I recently bought a 1 litre petrol corsa and it was the most fuel thirsty car I ever owned! Now got a diesel version. 48mpg knocking about and 64 on a run.

I dont think I would have a modern high mileage diesel though. The engines may be fine but the pumps will cost a fortune if they go wrong.

Diesel for me! I recently bought a 1 litre petrol corsa and it was the most fuel thirsty car I ever owned! Now got a diesel version. 48mpg knocking about and 64 on a run.

I dont think I would have a modern high mileage diesel though. The engines may be fine but the pumps will cost a fortune if they go wrong.

I think its because with a small petrol car its needs to be revved hard to get it going where as with a small diesel the turbo gives it that extra oomph so it drinks less diesel.

Archived