Diesel Vs Petrol

Petrol = Power (acceleration)

Diesel = Torque

Petrol = less MPG - Cheap(ish)

Diesel = More MPG but expensive

I think that's right :/

Anyway, Only car I've drove is my Instructors petrol 3cylinder Corsa. I could have walked faster.

Petrol = Power (acceleration)

Diesel = Torque

Petrol = less MPG - Cheap(ish)

Diesel = More MPG but expensive

I think that's right :/

Anyway, Only car I've drove is my Instructors petrol 3cylinder Corsa. I could have walked faster.

Which is better though torque or bhp?

The most simple way for me is: Torque relates to the acceleration, and bhp relates to the overall picture of power and top speed.

E.g. a car has a great bhp rating but very crappy torque from its engine, you can brag all day about it doing 180mph but it would take forever to actually hit that speed, thats where torque comes in and gives you a hand.

Admittedly theres more to it than that...

Which is better though torque or bhp?

It's hard to explain. BHP is power, without it the car wouldn't move. Torque on the other hand is the twisting force of the BHP, ie the Flywheel.

Lets say, a car has 500BHP and only 1Torques. The same engine in a go-cart and it would probably do 100mph but take a day to get there. (If the engine was in a car it wouldn't move it).

Now if the engine had 10BHP and 600ft lbs of torque. It would move whatever it's carrying really easy but the top speed would be limited. if you mixed up these figured to like 400ft lbs & 400bhp, that would make a great vehicle (but i doubt those figures add up)

Eg, A tractor, has about 70BHP but a bomb of Torque. because they pull very heavy loads most of the time. They need all the power they can get a low RPM.

I think that's right.

The most simple way for me is: Torque relates to the acceleration, and bhp relates to the overall picture of power and top speed.

E.g. a car has a great bhp rating but very crappy torque from its engine, you can brag all day about it doing 180mph but it would take forever to actually hit that speed, thats where torque comes in and gives you a hand.

in other words, this^

This is my second diesel, wouldn't have anything else now. 2 litre diesel giving out 150bhp and getting between 50 and 60mpg ... why would I buy a petrol car? The days of diesel's maxing out on revs are long gone.

Considerably more - torque is really irrelevant as cars have a gearbox that will alter the published figure considerably.

BHP will be what determines the top speed, and combined with the vehicle mass will determine the acceleration. The torque figure is largely irrelevant, a motorcycle with a very low torque figure will easily out accelerate a car due to a combination of it's gearing and low mass for example.

Diesel for me! I recently bought a 1 litre petrol corsa and it was the most fuel thirsty car I ever owned! Now got a diesel version. 48mpg knocking about and 64 on a run.

I dont think I would have a modern high mileage diesel though. The engines may be fine but the pumps will cost a fortune if they go wrong.

But on the other hand my perfectly nice 10 year old 125k mile common rail diesel runs very sweetly and is a very acceptable place to spend time, and it only cost me £1700. It's been running happily for over a year since I bought it, so even if it ripped it's innards out tomorrow it's cost me less than the depreciation on a new one.

Archived