Glad I am not in the Job Market

There used to be a time when you wanted a job, you rung the firm, or wrote to them applying for the job. You went for an interview, they asked a few pertinent questions relating to the job, and your qualifications, then you got a letter letting you know whether or not you got the job. No second interviews, no short lists.

Nowadays you need to take your birth certificate, passport, driving licence etc. and CRB checks, my God, my daughter has had three for different jobs in the last five years, one can't be transferred to another job. The people who issue the certificates must be rolling in it.

It must be so stressful getting a job in this day and age, I am glad I am retired.

I don't think it's as hard as you've seen. I apply for a job online..... Probably get a call back from an agency 1 in 5 applications, and then get an interview 1 out of every 3 I get a call about. I usually get the job I'm interviewed for.

I work in IT and a CRB check is often required when handling sensitive information. Just a good thing the employer pays the costs.

My granddad had a job for life as a teacher of foreign languages. The same as my other grandfather, he built houses, many houses in Sheffield and the surrounding areas. (Projects were taken, there was always work)

When I look at myself and my cousins I see most of us have had multiple jobs. I know people under 25 whom have been made redundant multiple times.

There's no point in a pension anymore but sticking a job out to collect a redundancy payment can provide you an opportunity to save.

Work is of a Precarious nature. Stability in your life is lacking. Not to mention the redtape, for example the CSCS card required for labourers, CRB checks (and people being allowed to start work whilst they go through), uncertain hours and loss of benefits (a.k.a. the poverty trap).

Archived