Conker collecting

hi over the years i have seen a decline in the number of lads collecting conkers, i know with a lack of rain its been a bad year for crops, when i was a young lad we spent hours in late august ealy september we were never in the house, hunting the best conker trees and trying to keep them secret, on the way to the trees we would collect pieces of broken branches, piping, anything that could be thrown to the tree tops hopinh to ht as many conkers on the way down, coming home with a carrier bag full, and covered in scratches and bruises. but you dont see it at all these days were are all the adventurous lads gone??

hi over the years i have seen a decline in the number of lads collecting conkers, i know with a lack of rain its been a bad year for crops, when i was a young lad we spent hours in late august ealy september we were never in the house, hunting the best conker trees and trying to keep them secret, on the way to the trees we would collect pieces of broken branches, piping, anything that could be thrown to the tree tops hopinh to ht as many conkers on the way down, coming home with a carrier bag full, and covered in scratches and bruises. but you dont see it at all these days were are all the adventurous lads gone??

Many years ago, on business in Germany, I found a Horse chestnut tree in the grounds of the Company I was visiting. The conkers on the floor were almost the size of apples. I collected about 10 or 12 to bring back to my daughter. At the Airport my luggage was serched and the woman said " Castigan " which I did not understand but I didn't realise we could not take these things out of the country.

They're all out trying to avoid the adults, collecting conkers. Unless you know where their secret trees are, you won't see them.

I can't help filling my pockets with them. But they never regain that amazing deep lustre they have when you first pop them from their pericarp.

OP, the kids of today are too busy on their XBOX's and Playstations to care about conkers. In fact, I doubt they'd know what the hell they were in the first place.

Those poor conkers! Lying unloved under the tree *sniff*.

The thing about conkers is it isn't a very good game, and never was.

...At the Airport my luggage was serched and the woman said " Castigan " which I did not understand but I didn't realise we could not take these things out of the country.

You misheard. The German word for Chestnut is "Kastanien".

Some types of the tree are classed as protected species in Germany due to extensive damage caused by invasions of the Horse Chestnut Leaf Miner moth larvae, Cameraria ohridella, in the recent past.

Archived