Rights when dealing with a police officer.

A young (aged 16) friend of hours was recently stopped in the street and accused by another member of the public of theft of the bike he was riding.

Without going into too much detail, the police were called, our young friend knowing he was innocent waited for them to arrive, thinking this would help clear the situation up.

The police arrived and behaved abysmally, speaking to the accuser with respect and treating the young lad terribly, speaking aggressively to him - they made him sit in the police car and wouldnt let him go home or call his parents.

I wont retell the whole story, but he was very upset, and even when they realised they had nothing to go on and told him he could go - they threatened him with further action "IF" they found out he had stolen it (rather than apologising for taking up his time.)

I was just wondering what advice to give my kids if this were to happen again. I'd have previously advised them to be co operative, but after this experience I'm more inclined to tell them to say either arrest me or I'm off, and tell them to go home.

Any one know the legal position in these circumstances?

It sounds like boy behaved correctly, but maybe calling his parents whilst waiting would have helped.

The problem with telling the police to either arrest your or you're leaving is that they are likely to arrest you. They can justify it as having reasonable suspicion, which the allegation probably gives them.

Advise the boy to make a complaint to the IPCC, they'll follow it up and will then either reprimand the officer or take some other action.

You're right, and I'd have no problem if they were treated with respect by the officers, who at the end of the day were faced with a young lad who's waited quietly for the police to arrive, and a situation where it was one persons word against another!

But given that they were treated with aggressively and assumed guilty til proven innocent, I wish they'd just gone home!

There are people like this in all walks of life unfortunately.

With the police, I think people notice these pillocks even more though.

All jumped up on their own sense of self importance.

Deserve a slap if you ask me.

And then you would be arrested for assaulting a Police Officer! :loopy:

Sorry, but your 16 year old friend is a bit of a div.If he was innocent, then he should have told his accusers to do one and not hang around waiting for the police to come.....He hadnt done anything.

I agree to a certain extent..... but he's a quiet, polite boy and just didn't know what to do.

I certainly wouldn't have waited for the police to come in those circumstances.

if the police officer was acting aggressivly then tell the officer that if he continues then you can perform a citizens arrest under s43 of the public order act (acting aaggresivly to another and making them feel under threat), that really upsets them lol

A young (aged 16) friend of hours was recently stopped in the street and accused by another member of the public of theft of the bike he was riding.

Without going into too much detail, the police were called, our young friend knowing he was innocent waited for them to arrive, thinking this would help clear the situation up.

The police arrived and behaved abysmally, speaking to the accuser with respect and treating the young lad terribly, speaking aggressively to him - they made him sit in the police car and wouldnt let him go home or call his parents.

I wont retell the whole story, but he was very upset, and even when they realised they had nothing to go on and told him he could go - they threatened him with further action "IF" they found out he had stolen it (rather than apologising for taking up his time.)

I was just wondering what advice to give my kids if this were to happen again. I'd have previously advised them to be co operative, but after this experience I'm more inclined to tell them to say either arrest me or I'm off, and tell them to go home.

Any one know the legal position in these circumstances?

The police in general are a law unto themselves.

I have a recording made recently in which a police officer verbaly abuses, threatens and intimidates a WITNESS to try and make her change her story.

This recording will be made public at the right time and hopefully charges will be brought against the officer for their conduct.

Archived