Rights when dealing with a police officer.

The OP gives me cause for concern, as do some of the comments that follow. As a Sheffielder. a parent, and a council-tax payer, I would welcome a comment from the police on this thread.

You have more chance of contracting leprosy in Fulwood than getting a comment out of those muppets.

you dont see the police on the streets anymore only on a hot summers day when its time to get the police mountain bike are driving around in there cars i nearly got wiped out by a cop car otherday on the roundabout as they fogot to give way to the right the woman policeofficer didnt even look at me iguess if she would have smashed into me what would have happend honestly????also seen a woman policeofficer munching on a sandwhich whilst she was driving lol and they are the law makes you laff

if the police officer was acting aggressivly then tell the officer that if he continues then you can perform a citizens arrest under s43 of the public order act (acting aaggresivly to another and making them feel under threat), that really upsets them lol

Probably the worst piece of advice I've ever heard. Haha... (I assume that was a joke though)

As for the actual post, 9 times out of 10, the police only have one persons word against another. So I personally think the young lad acted in a very mature way, which ultimately led to him not being arrested and allowed to go home.

Find it quite amusing had many of you guys have had dealings with the police as a suspect actually. Same people time after time too, must be a coincidence.

Had he acted in the ways some of you suggest, he would have undoubtedly ended up being arrested, guilty or not. (and to clarify being arrested doesn't make you guilty, it's just the way the police deal with such situations, to ensure the investigation is fair and the accused is afforded all the rights this country allows them.

Thanks to the police officer that sent us an ASBO letter, while he was totally innocent and protested this to the police officer the officer asked for his details saying he believed him and that he was in no trouble and that it was just to help them ect with their inquiries. More like using my son as a scapegoat for his crappy policing and fear of the statistics that show just how good they are not at their jobs.

Advice for anyone, kids or adults, do not offer them any information, not even your name and definitely don't fall for any help us with our inquiries lie. Let them do inquiries to find out who YOU are if your innocent, don't make the mistake my lad and have it cost you getting a record with them for nothing.

Yeah I know of loads of kids that have been doing absolutely NOTHING wrong that have been sent ASBO letters, and I know loads of people that have been wrongly arrested, and I know loads of people that get tickets when driving just 1mph over the limit, and I know loads of people who have been threatened by the police.

Think some of you need to sort your lifes out. Always have found it funny that it's the same people complaining about the police, strange hey?

What's the % of miscarriages of justice in the UK? Go find out ? Think you'll be surprised.

And why should the police treat people like you with any respect if that's your attitude?

Yeah I know of loads of kids that have been doing absolutely NOTHING wrong that have been sent ASBO letters, and I know loads of people that have been wrongly arrested, and I know loads of people that get tickets when driving just 1mph over the limit, and I know loads of people who have been threatened by the police.

Think some of you need to sort your lifes out. Always have found it funny that it's the same people complaining about the police, strange hey?

What's the % of miscarriages of justice in the UK? Go find out ? Think you'll be surprised.

And why should the police treat people like you with any respect if that's your attitude?

Because they are public servants and not judges

Speaking for myself, I have been arrested three times, but never charged, because on none of the occasions was I guilty of any crime. I am 46 years old and have no criminal record. I would have assumed your insinuation that everyone on this thread complaining of police malpractice are criminals indicated extreme ignorance, except that your other claim - about there being no miscarriages of justice in the UK - actually indicates you are living in a complete fantasy world.

Hi

Couple of points and these are general points and no way relate to the OP post.

When stopped by an officer of the law, even if its one of those stroppy ones:

Don't argue.

Answer the questions as best as you can politely and without appear to be taking the p.

Don't ask them if you are under arrest as these day officers can simply arresst and de-arrest and that is indeed a FACT.

The officer, a good officer will normally tell you why they have stopped you.

They will give their collar number if asked for.

if taken to the station, demand an advocate and say you will answer questions then

don't forget, these same officer may save your skin one day.

we have met nice, caring officers and a couple of fools. However, on the whole they do a really hard job dealing with trash like people but it is no excuse to take it out on another member of the public.

Free tip = be polite to them and even the rude-sih ones will be ok.

If yous have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear = FACT

for the record, this post was not aimed at anyone here.

If we were a bit younger, we'd love to become police officers and clean up our streets.

Archived