Rights when dealing with a police officer.

A young (aged 16) friend of hours was recently stopped in the street and accused by another member of the public of theft of the bike he was riding.

Without going into too much detail, the police were called, our young friend knowing he was innocent waited for them to arrive, thinking this would help clear the situation up.

The police arrived and behaved abysmally, speaking to the accuser with respect and treating the young lad terribly, speaking aggressively to him - they made him sit in the police car and wouldnt let him go home or call his parents.

I wont retell the whole story, but he was very upset, and even when they realised they had nothing to go on and told him he could go - they threatened him with further action "IF" they found out he had stolen it (rather than apologising for taking up his time.)

I was just wondering what advice to give my kids if this were to happen again. I'd have previously advised them to be co operative, but after this experience I'm more inclined to tell them to say either arrest me or I'm off, and tell them to go home.

Any one know the legal position in these circumstances?

The use of the word upset makes you sound very wet. The kid should man up. Jesus. He hasn't been beaten with ten sticks. You have only heard they were rude to him without knowing why. You assume it's because the police are at fault. Assume nothing.

simple, don;t answer any questions at all, just "no comment" all questions, you don't HAVE to answer anything to the police

Simple Simon. Inferences will then be drawn from your silence when you are in court. The judge will ask why you said nothing and will not be interested in any wet reasons given.

That's always been the case, but you still have the right to not incriminate yourself by choosing not to answer a question (except in some circumstances where refusal to answer has been a crime in a travesty of British justice).

TERRIBLE! i really hope the lads ok, bad policing!!!

Of all the dummies on here, including the OP who simply accept what they hear like a plant sap soaks up water you are the worst. Has no one ever heard the old cliche 'two sides to every story'. You all sound like a bunch of fishwives "ooooh that's terrible! Oooooh I know!"

"then he said this and he said that"

"terrible"

Pathetic.

The use of the word upset makes you sound very wet. The kid should man up. Jesus. He hasn't been beaten with ten sticks. You have only heard they were rude to him without knowing why. You assume it's because the police are at fault. Assume nothing.

What word do you think she should use instead?

Interesting that you tell her to assume nothing whilst making assumptions yourself about how much information she has. :suspect:

That's always been the case, but you still have the right to not incriminate yourself by choosing not to answer a question (except in some circumstances where refusal to answer has been a crime in a travesty of British justice).

Strange, I thought British justice was amongst the most liberal in the world with everything weighted towards the right of the individual. Of course if someone killed your friend and the police said "sorry but he's said no comment to everything, nowt to go on. Soz"

You'd explode in fury.

What word do you think she should use instead?

Interesting that you tell her to assume nothing whilst making assumptions yourself about how much information she has. :suspect:

Unless she has ESP she has heard a tale recounted from the youth.

you dont see the police on the streets anymore only on a hot summers day when its time to get the police mountain bike are driving around in there cars i nearly got wiped out by a cop car otherday on the roundabout as they fogot to give way to the right the woman policeofficer didnt even look at me iguess if she would have smashed into me what would have happend honestly????also seen a woman policeofficer munching on a sandwhich whilst she was driving lol and they are the law makes you laff

Another thickie. So if the police turned up late to your house being robbed and said "I had to pull up to eat my sandwich and finish it before driving to you"

you'd explode in fury. The hypocrisy and fishwifery on this thread is hilarious.

Hi

Couple of points and these are general points and no way relate to the OP post.

When stopped by an officer of the law, even if its one of those stroppy ones:

Don't argue.

Answer the questions as best as you can politely and without appear to be taking the p.

Don't ask them if you are under arrest as these day officers can simply arresst and de-arrest and that is indeed a FACT.

The officer, a good officer will normally tell you why they have stopped you.

They will give their collar number if asked for.

if taken to the station, demand an advocate and say you will answer questions then

don't forget, these same officer may save your skin one day.

we have met nice, caring officers and a couple of fools. However, on the whole they do a really hard job dealing with trash like people but it is no excuse to take it out on another member of the public.

Free tip = be polite to them and even the rude-sih ones will be ok.

If yous have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear = FACT

for the record, this post was not aimed at anyone here.

If we were a bit younger, we'd love to become police officers and clean up our streets.

A little sense on the thread - nice to see.

The Police have a difficult job at the best of times, especially (and increasingly) in the last couple of decades when society has empowered the criminal and the unruly member of the public with too many 'rights' to be awkward with Police officers.

I know quite a few Policemen socially and not one that I don't trust or like. Their frustrations in dealing with some members of the public are not something to envy, and at times they perhaps have to assume the worst of a situation before they have enough information to make decisions.

Don't forget that nearly everybody they ever encounter or arrest is 'innocent' and badly done by. Especially the guilty ones and career criminals whose protestations of innocence and victimisation are the loudest of all.

Strange, I thought British justice was amongst the most liberal in the world with everything weighted towards the right of the individual. Of course if someone killed your friend and the police said "sorry but he's said no comment to everything, nowt to go on. Soz"

You'd explode in fury.

Lol, is that how you think it works, with the police having to let people go 'cause they're not answering questions? I'd always thought that the police uncovered the evidence and then built a case on that evidence.

Archived