Rights when dealing with a police officer.

Another thickie. So if the police turned up late to your house being robbed and said "I had to pull up to eat my sandwich and finish it before driving to you"

you'd explode in fury. The hypocrisy and fishwifery on this thread is hilarious.

The shrillest voice on this thread appears to be yours at the moment.

Like it or not there are a number of bad coppers out there who don;t play by the rules. When faced with one of these the safest course is to say nothing - as is your right - and ask for legal representation.

A lot of coppers are on a power trip and attempt to intimidate people into making perhaps unwarranted or unwise statements. The safest course is to say nothing, invite them to arrest you and then you can fall back on habeas corpus and a duty solicitor.

Lol, is that how you think it works, with the police having to let people go 'cause they're not answering questions? I'd always thought that the police uncovered the evidence and then built a case on that evidence.

I know it's more complicated than that, I'm using the theoretical framework of the poster who likes the idea of people effectively sticking their fingers in their ears and saying "la la la la" until they are let go. He wouldn't love it if such behaviour directly affected him. Empathy is in short supply in these fishwife style threads.

Lol, is that how you think it works, with the police having to let people go 'cause they're not answering questions? I'd always thought that the police uncovered the evidence and then built a case on that evidence.
Hi thinks right - that often is how it works. Three quarters of convictions depend on interview evidence from the accused - often physical or witrness evidence is not enough to go by.

Many of the IRA terrorists walked free in the 80s and 90s because they had a policy of complete refusal to speak once arrested.

The shrillest voice on this thread appears to be yours at the moment.

Like it or not there are a number of bad coppers out there who don;t play by the rules. When faced with one of these the safest course is to say nothing - as is your right - and ask for legal representation.

A lot of coppers are on a power trip and attempt to intimidate people into making perhaps unwarranted or unwise statements. The safest course is to say nothing, invite them to arrest you and then you can fall back on habeas corpus and a duty solicitor.

My voice is not shrill since I am not wailing for the rights of the 'obviously innocent' in the face of neo fascist policing.

I don't disagree with anything you've said but according to the thickies on here their proportions of good and bad are the opposite of yours.

Many thickies base their 'knowledge' on US cop shows and assume wrongly they are entitled to a phone call amongst other things.

I'm disappointed that after decades of police power getting watered down and the confidence of idiots growing and its recent riotous results there are still people on here who'd like to see even less police power. How about we arm them with feather dusters and let anyone off if there aren't ten witnesses?

My voice is not shrill since I am not wailing for the rights of the 'obviously innocent' in the face of neo fascist policing.

I don't disagree with anything you've said but according to the thickies on here their proportions of good and bad are the opposite of yours.

Many thickies base their 'knowledge' on US cop shows and assume wrongly they are entitled to a phone call amongst other things.

I'm disappointed that after decades of police power getting watered down and the confidence of idiots growing and its recent riotous results there are still people on here who'd like to see even less police power. How about we arm them with feather dusters and let anyone off if there aren't ten witnesses?

No, you are just wailing about a problem that doesn't exist.

I'm disappointed about the rights of citizens being watered down because the police cannot do thier jobs properly. Perhaps they should think on that and consider that the whole model of policing by consent only works when they behave reasonably towards people.

I'm disappointed about the rights of citizens being watered down because the police cannot do thier jobs properly. Perhaps they should think on that and consider that the whole model of policing by consent only works when they behave reasonably towards people.

Which rights are these?

A problem that doesn't exist? What are you on about?

The problem is people gossiping like old maids about the evil police. People on here hear a story third hand and condemn the police. Does that not strike you as dimwitted behaviour or are you as intelligent as the character you name yourself after?

Which rights are these?

Loss of the absolute right to silence, excessive detention without any legal access, the requirement to prove innocence in certain cases, the requirement to inform on suspected criminal behaviour, the list is quite long sadly...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/revealed-the-full-extent-of-labours-curbs-on-civil-liberties-1627054.html

Your firsthand 'evidence' proves your argument right, hilarious. "I experienced some bad behaviour so der must be loads of bad police musn't there? Gee that's real bad"

Has it crossed your peanut that I don't even live in Fulwood?

Have the recent riots not given you a taste of what happens when the scum of society are supremely confident, not scared of the police or prison? Or are you waiting for them to turn up at your door because the 'big city' is a long way away?

Archived