Paraplegic flies microlight from UK to Australia.

Please have a look at the two links below. This is about a fellow Yorkshireman, and paraplegic who has just flown from Rufforth, Nr York to Sydney in his microlight to raise funds for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance, a service that Sheffield folk have benefitted from. Click on Daves webpage and if you can help please feel free to donate.

Daves own website: http://www.soloflightglobal.com/

Ade

Whilst this is very impressive and I would love to even go in a microlight for an hour. It's not like he ran is it? Great feat but was his having no feeling in his legs really a hindrance? I.e. Would a blind man's disability be mentioned when breaking the world record for listening to music?

Don't take this as me insulting the man, it's not meant like that at all. Just flying a microlight from UK to Australia is impressive.

• 3 weeks later...
Whilst this is very impressive and I would love to even go in a microlight for an hour. It's not like he ran is it? Great feat but was his having no feeling in his legs really a hindrance? I.e. Would a blind man's disability be mentioned when breaking the world record for listening to music?

Don't take this as me insulting the man, it's not meant like that at all. Just flying a microlight from UK to Australia is impressive.

Tony, before coming out with such an idiotic retort, get off your ar5e and have a go in a microlight, using just your hands and no feeling from the waist down. Fly it for 11000 miles, over water for a good third of that distance and trying to land in 30+mph crosswinds where your lower half would certainly come in handy. I'm lucky as I have all my faculties.....you're obviously gifted and better than all others. Like I said earlier, get a flight and a couple of lessons booked, then come back and comment.

Tony, before coming out with such an idiotic retort, get off your ar5e and have a go in a microlight, using just your hands and no feeling from the waist down. Fly it for 11000 miles, over water for a good third of that distance and trying to land in 30+mph crosswinds where your lower half would certainly come in handy. I'm lucky as I have all my faculties.....you're obviously gifted and better than all others. Like I said earlier, get a flight and a couple of lessons booked, then come back and comment.

The flight doesn't include anything like 1/3 over water. Because microlights land in such short distances it is unusual to need to land them in 30k crosswinds. If you have strong arms, which he must, then I don't believe that landing without feet is a big deal once you get used to it.

However ...

The real difficulty in such flights is really the planning, weather, logistics, and what to do when it hits the fan. The logistics get to be a real pain in some of the more unusual contries. If the donkey stops over even his fairly short sea crossings (and it is more likely to on such an aircraft) then he must find it a real pain to get out and get in a raft.

Landing distance on modern microlights is between 175 and 200 metres. Nose wheel and throttle are usually operated by foot. In Daves case its hands whilst steering with control bar at the same time. Have you ever flown one of the newer range of flexwing Ken or are you basing your opinion on the older twostroke, baggy wing m/lights that would land on a sixpence ? Crosswind landings have to made if there is only one runway / grass strip and there is no head/tail wind, which is the case on a lot of the small islands in the Phillipines/ Indonesia areas. Its a doddle in a 3 axis aircraft but a bit harder in a two axis. Give it a try sometime Ken in blustery conditions and let me know how you get on. Try Coal Aston when its blowing 15 plus from the SW.

Archived