Where is the best Thai restaurant in Sheffield?

s121986

We just had an amazing authentic meal at Top Thai on London Road. I've been to Thailand and Baan Thai restaurant and this place is by far the best place in Sheffield. Lovely, friendly staff, good value for money, super fresh ingredients and only just opened. Shall be going back again and again...aloi!!

Top thai is nice .

I've been weight cutting and only went in for starters

They were cool about it

Seems others in this thread don't rate Thai Thai Ka in Broomhill highly, but my partner and I are big fans. We order weekly and have always had a great meal / great service.

I rate it above Baan Thai, anyway.

You realise you're all answering a question that was asked 4 years ago right?

Still relevant though. I`d agree with Thai at Travellers but not been for a while. The waitresses are really friendly and the owner / bossman is so grumpy!

We just had an amazing authentic meal at Top Thai on London Road. I've been to Thailand and Baan Thai restaurant and this place is by far the best place in Sheffield. Lovely, friendly staff, good value for money, super fresh ingredients and only just opened. Shall be going back again and again...aloi!!

just because someone has been to Thailand doesn't mean to say they know what good food tastes like.

Someone did a review of KOKO on Eccelsall Road and wrote something daft like my husband is Japanese...

Koko is poor , it is not authentic at all and serves up east meets west food not traditional Japanese style! They are the same owners as Sakushi defnately not Japanese!

As far Bann Thai its by the better one in Sheffield but in terms of Thai food and quality it is still poor.

Gap in market in Sheffield for a top quality thai place!

As far Bann Thai its by the better one in Sheffield but in terms of Thai food and quality it is still poor.

Gap in market in Sheffield for a top quality thai place!

We went to Baan Thai on a leaving do for a Thai student at the University. I don't know what she said, but the food was completely different to anything I have had there before or since. I suspect that they can make 'authentic' food but have found that there is only a small market for it.

We went to Baan Thai on a leaving do for a Thai student at the University. I don't know what she said, but the food was completely different to anything I have had there before or since. I suspect that they can make 'authentic' food but have found that there is only a small market for it.

Perhaps we've already outgrown the basic anglicised Thai restaurant food and there is a market for 'authentic'? What would that look like - how is it different?

I have to say I'm quite easily pleased with Thai food. Even the stuff I make at home is usually really nice.

Same with Indian food though. With Indian restaurants it took about 40 years of flock wallpaper and spicy gravy type curries before we moved to 'authentic'. I still like the flock wallpaper places when I find them, but there are more 'South Indian' or other regional niche Indian places now.

I note that the South Indian restaurants in Sheffield do the same thing - they tone down the salt content and spice heat of the dishes for western tastes. I once asked for an 'authentic' curry in Maveli and they really ramped up the salt/heat for me. I like a hot curry, but that was too much for me although, of course, I ate it all and tried to carry on smiling. Interestingly, an Indian friend told me that he thinks even Maveli's 'authentic' dishes are quite mild!

The Thai food that night was similarly hot and salty, but also with pungent fish sauce and mouth-puckeringly sour flavours. I nearly cried when I ate the beef salad...