Is it worth having kids?

"There's nowt to bring them into this world for.", "There's too many people", "They cost too much money" and many other lines that I often hear from people who have actually had children.

Ultimately I don't think I want children. I value money too much.

Is it worth having kids and why would you have them?

Is my selfish attitude towards children ultimately going to be the downfall of rich, westernised civilisation?

"There's nowt to bring them into this world for.", "There's too many people", "They cost too much money" and many other lines that I often hear from people who have actually had children.

Ultimately I don't think I want children. I value money too much.

Is it worth having kids and why would you have them?

Is my selfish attitude towards children ultimately going to be the downfall of rich, westernised civilisation?

I wish more people would actually think it through like you rather than just popping them out for cash.

It's well worth having children if you're doing so for the right reasons. Being a parent is the most tiring, hard work, heart-breakingly worrying and difficult job you'll ever do, however it's also the most wonderful and rewarding job too. To see this amazing little thing that you've produced laughing, playing and just being happy in general is worth more than anything in the world.

It's amazing just how your outlook and priorities in life change when you have a child, things that were once important to me now seem insignificant. I love being a Mum. :)

Nope. You've written yourself out of the gene pool - whether that is a bonus or not for the rest of us, we'll have to wait and see.

There's a certain amount of irony there. As you rightly point out, if you don't have kids you effectively wipe yourself out of the gene pool.

Strange that most people who question the pros and cons of having kids are the ones who're intellectual enough to have thought the idea through in the first place.

Shame really as if they decide not to have kids they're effectively dumbing down the country to the likes of the 'Jeremy Kyle generation' who thrive on having as many kids as possible as you can get out of a pair of fallopian tubes (or more in most cases) without a care in the world. Only to bring them up on more handouts from the DSS whilst the poisoned progeny watch more Jezza on their 42 inch flatscreen plasmas. :rolleyes:

There's a certain amount of irony there. As you rightly point out, if you don't have kids you effectively wipe yourself out of the gene pool.

Strange that most people who question the pros and cons of having kids are the ones who're intellectual enough to have thought the idea through in the first place.

Shame really as if they decide not to have kids they're effectively dumbing down the country to the likes of the 'Jeremy Kyle generation' who thrive on having as many kids as possible as you can get out of a pair of fallopian tubes (or more in most cases) without a care in the world. Only to bring them up on more handouts from the DSS whilst the poisoned progeny watch more Jezza on their 42 inch flatscreen plasmas. :rolleyes:

You're right there your eminence, some of the sights I see when I go to work on tram beggar belief. :roll::roll:

I had this discussion the other week. The socially conscious and more intellectual amongst us usually have less kids and as such over time the gene pool could become slightly dumber.

I once read that people with no skills naturally wish to breed more as it gives their DNA a better chance of surviving in future. Maybe nature works in such a way as to keep any species from getting so smart?

I see no irony.

If you go through the pros and cons of having kids, to make a giant decision matrix, you'll be dead of old age before you finish it.

People have kids because it's what they do.

Bees buzz, politicians lie, grass grows, apples ripen, and people have kids.

If you're agonising over whether you can afford them, have time for them, want to bring them into a world such as this, then you don't want kids.

If you want kids, you'll find a way around every one of these objections and obstacles.

"It's the biology stupid."

Agreed. This attractive young lady and her rather intelligent looking partner should have had a good hard think about creating children, if only they were able.http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Karen+Matthews/Missing+Shannon+Matthews+Found+Alive+After/zJ9y1cVGqW_

I see no irony.

If you go through the pros and cons of having kids, to make a giant decision matrix, you'll be dead of old age before you finish it.

If you're agonising over whether you can afford them, have time for them, want to bring them into a world such as this, then you don't want kids.

If you want kids, you'll find a way around every one of these objections and obstacles.

What a load of twaddle, if you can't afford kids you don't have to have them. It's nothing to do with biology, this is 2011 and contraception is freely available for people with common sense not to burden taxpayer with offspring they can't afford. Also for your information I have met Alcoblog at forum meet and he is very nice and I'll thank you not to call him stupid

I see no irony.

So you think it's socially acceptable for people to have as many kids as they want, even though they have no means of bringing them up in a responsible manner in the full knowledge that you'll never need to work again due to government handouts? :huh:

Archived