Where to get a bus pass?

If you are wanting a pass for free travel then you have to meet certain criteria such as disability. Free travel for pensioners requires you to produce your pension book and is for men over 65 and for women as follows. Anyone born in or before 1950 get free travel at 60. If you were born in 1951 (like me) then pension age is 61, 1952 is age 62 etc. Anyone born in or after 1955 then it is 65 the same as men:roll::roll:

Free travel for male over 60's depends upon your birthdate. As the women's retirement age moves from 60 to 65 so that age at which a male can get a free bus pass changes.

A woman with birthdate of 29 Aug 1951 will reach state pension age on 6 January 2013 at which time they can obtain a free bus pass. A man with the same birthdate can obtain a free bus pass on the same date (6 Jan 2013) but will not reach state pension age until 28 August 2016 (i.e. 65 and 1 day).

Free travel for male over 60's depends upon your birthdate. As the women's retirement age moves from 60 to 65 so that age at which a male can get a free bus pass changes.

A woman with birthdate of 29 Aug 1951 will reach state pension age on 6 January 2013 at which time they can obtain a free bus pass. A man with the same birthdate can obtain a free bus pass on the same date (6 Jan 2013) but will not reach state pension age until 28 August 2016 (i.e. 65 and 1 day).

That is not correct as you have to produce your pension book to get free travel and I can get my pension book in April 2012, I was born on 5 April 1951. I can apply for it in September this year but won't get it until April. Someone born in August 1951 will be able to apply in March 2012

The enquirer did not state that he/she was of possible pension age.

Pension Books: These are no longer issued by the way - now extinct. You get a card now to slot into a post office machine or you receive it by direct debit. To get a Senior Citizens bus pass (which in Sheffield qualifies you for all buses in S Yorkshire, the supertram and certain local network rail services (Leeds for example) and you can also travel to Chesterfield, Bakewell, Matlock, Castleton and a few other places in Derbyshire FREE. You do not need a 'pension book' you do need the letter from HM pensions stating that you now qualify for your state pension and you need proof of your age - either birth cert. of passport.

Women born before 1 Jan 1950 get it at 60 after that date it is graduated up to around 1953 or so, you can check your pension age accurately to be certain using the calculator on the HM pensions website. Enter your date of birth and gender and it will tell you exactly.

That is not correct as you have to produce your pension book to get free travel and I can get my pension book in April 2012, I was born on 5 April 1951. I can apply for it in September this year but won't get it until April. Someone born in August 1951 will be able to apply in March 2012

My hubby was born November 1950. He got his free pass in June, and didnt have to show a pension book, just prove his age