Where to get a bus pass?

That's not correct either I have rung traveline - see my previous posts 3, 6 and 11 and that should be 1st January 1951 ie - they need to be born on or before 31st December 1950

The truth is a magical thing dear Denlin, it comes in many shapes and sizes and in any case I suggest the enquirer is too young for a pensioner's bus pass anway. He/she just wants a cheaper way to get around. May we suggest a bike, roller skates, a skateboard, Shank's pony; or failing all these things, put an extra two wheels on a wheelie bin, plus a rubber band and the key from a corned beef can, wind it up for power and go around in that, question solved so no need for bus pass at all.

If we are talking about season ticket type passes there are quite a choice of passes depending on your requirements...

The Travelmaster range of tickets are valid on any bus, train or tram, regardless of operator. These are sold at Travel South Yorkshire information centres such as the ones in Sheffield Interchange, Arundel Gate, Meadowhall Interchange and Hillsborough Interchange. See http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com for more details.

Operator specific passes are also available and cost less. See. http://www.stagecoachbus.com/sheffield, http://www.firstgroup.com/southyorkshire and http://www.tmtravel.co.uk.

To clarify this: Pension 'Books' were discontinued by the government in April 2005 and since then pensioners have either a payment card to use in a post office for cash or they have their pension paid into a bank account.

To get a senior citizens bus pass you must show 3 things: the letter from HM pensions stating you qualify for your state pension and either your birth certificate or passport (ie positive proof of age) and proof of your address. You get this pass (a plastic card) from any SYPTE information centre such as at Sheffield Interchange where you will have your photo taken for the pass free.

No, you dont need a letter to state that you qualify for state pension, my hubby does not yet qualify and he still got his bus pass in June.

No, you dont need a letter to state that you qualify for state pension, my hubby does not yet qualify and he still got his bus pass in June.

How did he do that then? I went down just after my 60th birthday and was told I needed to bring proof down and that I needed to be of pension age. On the website it says I should get a letter about six months before I'm 61 to advise me about my state pension

Anyone that cannot drive because of medical reason can get a bus pass.

I cannot drive at the moment for medical reason and enjoy trains to leeds and then one bus with coastliner straight to whitby for a nice walk on the beach and a good fish chippie.

My mom visiting from holland for a week gets in bus free because she looks 65+. She has a blue wallet and they think it is a pas. She wants to pay but they wave her through and refuse to look at it or spend time on it.

How did he do that then? I went down just after my 60th birthday and was told I needed to bring proof down and that I needed to be of pension age. On the website it says I should get a letter about six months before I'm 61 to advise me about my state pension

Male or female works to the same date for getting the free bus pass relating to 'pension age'.

The 'pension age' relates to females but applies to both sexes with regard to the pass. A man and woman born on the same day is eligible for free bus pass on the same day. The man does NOT have to wait until 65 until the woman's 'pension age' reaches 65.

I am male and was born October 1950 and I received my free buss pass in May this year.

You need to take document to prove age (i.e. birth certificate, passport) and document to prove address.

So I do need a letter then as my OH is 3 months younger than me. Did your OH qualify because you have reached pension age? If this is the case when I reach 61 in April 2012 will OH be able to get his then or will he have to wait until he is 61 in July next year?

Edited by denlin

So I do need a letter then as my OH is 3 months younger than me. Did your OH qualify because you have reached pension age? If this is the case when I reach 61 in April 2012 will OH be able to get his then or will he have to wait until he is 61 in July next year?

No, I am only 58. see Phillibusters reply above