Where to get a bus pass?

Male or female works to the same date for getting the free bus pass relating to 'pension age'.

The 'pension age' relates to females but applies to both sexes with regard to the pass. A man and woman born on the same day is eligible for free bus pass on the same day. The man does NOT have to wait until 65 until the woman's 'pension age' reaches 65.

I am male and was born October 1950 and I received my free buss pass in May this year.

You need to take document to prove age (i.e. birth certificate, passport) and document to prove address.

This is what Phillibuster put

My husband was 60 in November. He just had to wait until a woman born on the same day in the same year was elligible for her state pension (although he is not) and then he became elligible for a bus pass!!!! (as Phillibuster said!!!)

That's not what he said, he meant it had to be partner or spouse unless you know somebody born on that date.

Edited by denlin

How did he do that then? I went down just after my 60th birthday and was told I needed to bring proof down and that I needed to be of pension age. On the website it says I should get a letter about six months before I'm 61 to advise me about my state pension

Quite right denlin, I agree with you. It is essential to have proof of your state pension in order to get a seniors bus pass, anyone can check this out.

Quite right denlin, I agree with you. It is essential to have proof of your state pension in order to get a seniors bus pass, anyone can check this out.

Thanks I'm glad somebody agrees. I have rung Traveline in Rotherham and given mine and OH's dates of birth and they advised that I can get mine with proof of ID and pension when I'm 61 and OH can get his later same year when he is. I must apologise because if I am reading website correctly this does apply to men and women. It's very confusing but you definitely do have to have proof help::help: My OH according to website can have free travel from 6 November 2012 but he is 61 on 21 July 2012 so it is not on your birthday. However it may be different for those born in 1950 because they only changed goalposts for women born on or after 1/1/1951

Edited by denlin

Below is the government website with the full info. paste it into your browser and download all the info. You will find out that you MUST be in receipt of state pension and MUST show proof of it in order to get an 'older person's bus pass'. It is possible the one who didn't need it was in one of the other categories that qualify also (disabled), this copied from the govt website...

Who is eligible for a disabled person's bus pass

You're eligible for a disabled person's pass if you live in England and are 'eligible disabled'. This means you:

•are blind or partially sighted

•are profoundly or severely deaf

•are without speech

•have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk

•don’t have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms

•have a learning disability

You're also eligible disabled if your application for a driving licence would be refused under section 92 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (physical fitness). However, you won't be eligible if you were refused because of persistent

misuse of drugs or alcohol.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Publictransport/BusAndCoachTravel/DG_10036264

Thanks I'm glad somebody agrees. I have rung Traveline in Rotherham and given mine and OH's dates of birth and they advised that I can get mine with proof of ID and pension when I'm 61 and OH can get his later same year when he is but I can't see how any man can get it just because he is born on same day as a woman who he does not know, I would have thought they had to be spouse or partner:help::help:

For goodness sake, I am not lying, this is what we did and my husband DID get his buss pass. No proof of state pension, didnt have to tell them my DOB, just his own DOB and was told that he was elligible for a bus pass,the same as a female, any female, who was born on the same day as him would also now be elligible

Copied and pasted from the DirectGov website

You will see the bit stating " Men born after 5th April 1950", this is why my hubby became elligible for his travel pass earlier this year

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Publictransport/BusAndCoachTravel/DG_10036264

Who is eligible for an older person's bus pass

If you live in England, you'll be entitled to a bus pass giving free off-peak travel on local buses when you reach 'eligible age'. If you were born after 5 April 1950, the age you become eligible is tied to changes in the State Pension age for women. This affects both men and women.

If you were born before 6 April 1950

You're eligible for an older person's bus pass from your 60th birthday, if you were born before 6 April 1950.

Women born after 5 April 1950

If you're a woman born after 5 April 1950, you'll become eligible for an older person's bus pass when you reach pensionable age.

Men born after 5 April 1950

If you're a man born after 5 April 1950, you'll become eligible when you reach the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day.

You can check when you'll become eligible by entering your sex and date of birth into the State Pension age calculator.

men born between the dates that women are now subject to variable dates in order to bring them into line with the unified pension age for men and women (1950-1953) ARE allowed the same consideration since the sex-discrimination act makes it so. However: You cannot get the pass without proof that you are in receipt of state pension; if your husband got away with it, just accept it, enjoy it, keep quiet and don't shout about it in here - okay.

Now let it drop, it is becoming seriously boring, even the hardened pedants are finding it boring. DROP IT! If it makes you feel thrilled that you won, OKAY YOU WON!

END OF!!!!!

so you are right and the government website is wrong then. My husband did not "get away with it" as you say. He does not receive state pension and will not for quite a while yet, however, he was born in November 1950 (that is after April 1950) and therefore received his travel pass on the same day that a woman born in November 1950 reached pensionable age, just as the government website says

Edited by tasha_78