Where to get a bus pass?

For goodness sake, I am not lying, this is what we did and my husband DID get his buss pass. No proof of state pension, didnt have to tell them my DOB, just his own DOB and was told that he was elligible for a bus pass,the same as a female, any female, who was born on the same day as him would also now be elligible

Sorry Tasha but it is all confusing. Put my OH's details into that website and he will not be able to claim free travel until 6 November 2012 but his 61st birthday is 21 July 2012, may be different for those born in 1950 because they changed goalpost for women who were born on or after 1/1/1951

That's not what he said, he meant it had to be partner or spouse unless you know somebody born on that date.

Sorry denlin, you are wrong that IS what I said. I did NOT mean it had to be partner or spouse etc.

Quite right denlin, I agree with you. It is essential to have proof of your state pension in order to get a seniors bus pass, anyone can check this out.

If you are a woman and reach the female 'pensionable age' then you are entitled to receive your state pension and are entitled to your 'senior's bus pass'.

If you are a man and born on the same date as the woman above then you are entitled to your 'senior's bus pass' on the same date as the woman is entitled to start receiving her state pension. Of course you are not entitled to your state pension until you reach the male 'pensionable age'.

As a man, you need to take your birth certificate as proof of age. It is quite impossible to take anything with regard to 'receiving your state pension', if male, because you do not get your state pension until you reach the male 'pensionable age'.

Sorry Tasha but it is all confusing. Put my OH's details into that website and he will not be able to claim free travel until 6 November 2012 but his 61st birthday is 21 July 2012, may be different for those born in 1950 because they changed goalpost for women who were born on or after 1/1/1951

Yes denlin, that is correct.

The reason is that a female born on your OH's birth date (21 July 1951) has to be 61 years, 3 months and 16 days old before being allowed to retire. This is the result of the gradual movement of the female retirement age from 60 to 65.

Just to add to the confusion, once the female's retirement age reaches 65 there are plans to increase that retirement age for both males and females.

I got mine as soon as I was 60. It was a laugh last time Mrs Smithy266 and I caught a tram, as the conductor looked at me, saw my pass, looked at her, and walked straight on, despite me waving a fiver at him! Wifey was quite upset, as she is quite a few years younger!

• 6 years later...

On the First buses I find it disappoint that you cannot buy a simple return ticket; I asked for one once but the driver said it had to be a day saver for £4.