Advice when buying a second hand car

This is just a bit of advice for anyone buying a second hand car - I'm learning the hard way that even if the car you're buying has just had an MOT and is fairly new, this doesn't mean it's in good condition! If you're buying a second hand car, do yourself a favour and get an independent engineer check before you commit to buying it.

I bought a 2008 reg car from a dealer 2 months ago and it had an MOT just before I picked it up, but a few days ago it broke down. The breakdown was caused by the alternator failing, but when the garage I took it (the main dealership) to examined it, it turned out that there's a total of about £1000 of work needs doing on it, including brake pads being totally worn down, feeder pipes being cracked and it needing a service as the oil is apparently filthy, even though I was told it had a service at the same time as the MOT. I've contacted Consumer Direct to see if there's anything at all I can do about it, but I don't know whether there will be. I know I for one don't have a spare £1000 hanging around to spend on my car and I doubt many people have, so be really careful when you buy a second hand car so you don't end up in this situation!!

Unfortunately you have no more rights buying a car from a dealer than you would buying it privately, I found this out the hard way as well! However if you can prove that these faults were there before and should have been noticed during the MOT then these should be rectified by the dealer. I believe that a MOT station can lose their liscence if they have issued a MOT on a vehicle with faults on it if it reported to the VOSA check out this link http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022113 If you can't resolve this issue tell them that you are going to report them or that you have spoken to VOSA already.

Check your receipt to see if it mensions the Service as it shouldn't require a new service after 2 months unless you do loads of miles. You could check the service record book for this as well.

Mayfield - you do have certain rights when buying a second hand car, looking at the Consumer Direct website (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Buyingacar-yourconsumerrights/DG_183047), actually a lot more rights than I'd have expected!

I've emailed Consumer Direct to see what they say, and if they think there's anything I can do then I'll get in contact with the dealer. If I do then I fully intend to go there in person at a busy time and discuss it with them in front of as many other potential customers as happen to be there!

Can't name the dealership, but it's a small independent company in south Sheffield.

Brake pads £40

Oil £15

Filters 30

Alt £50-£150

Labour at reasonable garage £30 an hour x £90

Total £250-400 ish less if you do it yourself but id be working on the dealer sorting it.

And the lesson is if you dont know what your doing,get someone who does!

Brake pads £40

Oil £15

Filters 30

Alt £50-£150

Labour at reasonable garage £30 an hour x £90

Total £250-400 ish less if you do it yourself but id be working on the dealer sorting it.

And the lesson is if you dont know what your doing,get someone who does!

There is more stuff that needs doing, I just can't remember it all off the top of my head - the dealership are giving me their report so I can speak to the people I bought it from.

I know the price I was quoted is more than I'd pay at a normal garage (the breakdown truck took me to the nearest garage, which happened to be a main dealer), but still - I object to having to shell out anything substantial for a 3 year old car I've only had for 2 months! They've fixed the alternator as I had no choice about that, but I told them to leave the rest and I'd follow it up with the dealer I bought it from. If I do have to pay for it myself then I'll ring round a few garages and see who is the most reasonable.