Authentic Spanish meal

shef sparky

The tapas in the Mediterranean used to be very good, however I haven't been in for some time. The owner was from Algeciras and kept a home both there and in Sheffield.

The original owner, Mike Morgan was a Sheffield lad crookesey, with a Greek wife, he absolutely did things right and from first principles. Would love to know what happened to him.

The original owner, Mike Morgan was a Sheffield lad crookesey, with a Spanish wife, he absolutely did things right and from first principles. Would love to know what happened to him.

Last I heard, about 10 years ago, Mike was working in another restaurant, both he and his wife were always friendly and seemed to make a really good team. His father in law owns the Venus at Dinnington

Last I heard, about 10 years ago, Mike was working in another restaurant, both he and his wife were always friendly and seemed to make a really good team. His father in law owns the Venus at Dinnington

Thanks for that Mayfield :thumbsup:

It depends on what you call an 'authentic Spanish meal', we will be in Spain in a few weeks, and constantly search for this. A lot of the none Paella/fish meals tend to be stews, containing chorizo (sausage) and broad beans, the pork stews are better but are usually based on belly pork. Paella varies greatly, the Northern Costa Brava is IMHO the Paella capital of Spain. I love their very thin pork chops, obtained from suckling pigs, muscles in a tomato and garlic sauce are also very tasty, served with freshly baked bread.

The Spanish are the masters of dishes containing meat balls, they fry whitebait better than anyone else, and a simple Spanish salad is a nice side course, or in my case lunch served with bread and french fries. I love my tapas served with fresh warm bread, and a bottle of Rioja, unfortunately I have only found anything resembling what we get in Spain at the Mediterranean.

The thing with Spanish food is that it varies from region to region with each one having a signature dish. Unfortunately, even in Spain, you can struggle to find the real deal. The only way to do it is to head away from the tourist traps.

Rick Stein's recent cookery programme about Spansh cuisine was good.

You'll sruggle to find anything remotely authentic in Sheffield.

The thing with Spanish food is that it varies from region to region with each one having a signature dish. Unfortunately, even in Spain, you can struggle to find the real deal. The only way to do it is to head away from
  • the

tourist traps.

Rick Stein's recent cookery programme about Spansh cuisine was good.

You'll sruggle to find anything remotely authentic in Sheffield.

I used to think in a similar manner, we often stay beach front in Calahonda and have got used to driving inland for traditional Spanish food. In spring this year I was having a wander around close to the beach, and saw several Spanish folk making their way into this nondescript place that turned out to be the finest tapas bar that I have found outside of Almeria.

It depends on what you call an 'authentic Spanish meal', we will be in Spain in a few weeks, and constantly search for this. A lot of the none Paella/fish meals tend to be stews, containing chorizo (sausage) and broad beans, the pork stews are better but are usually based on belly pork. Paella varies greatly, the Northern Costa Brava is IMHO the Paella capital of Spain. I love their very thin pork chops, obtained from suckling pigs, muscles in a tomato and garlic sauce are also very tasty, served with freshly baked bread.

The Spanish are the masters of dishes containing meat balls, they fry whitebait better than anyone else, and a simple Spanish salad is a nice side course, or in my case lunch served with bread and french fries. I love my tapas served with fresh warm bread, and a bottle of Rioja, unfortunately I have only found anything resembling what we get in Spain at the Mediterranean.

Sorry to say, but the origins of Paella is not Costa Brava, in fact is the Valencia region, west coast of Spain. I would recommend you try tapas at La Mama with a bottle of Rioja or the House wine.

Sorry to say, but the origins of Paella is not Costa Brava, in fact is the Valencia region, west coast of Spain. I would recommend you try tapas at La Mama with a bottle of Rioja or the House wine.

Sorry but please note the 'IMHO', if you are ever in the area, try the paella at Bar Sali in Calella de Palafrugel, it's the best I've ever have, and I regularly stay in the region of Valencia.

Archived