National Squatting movement takes over empty housing!

I couldn't afford to rent an entire house on my own when I was young, so I shared with 4 mates.

I currently live in an apartment that would cost over $750,000 to buy, My current rent includes electricity, hot water, air con, 24hr security guards, maintenace of the building, the pool, the gym and the gardens. It's much, much cheaper for me to rent then even attempt to buy anything, and once you get over that British mindset of "I MUST own a house or my life is meaningless" it's quite pleasant having no mortgage hanging over you.

I don’t doubt that renting an expensive property is cheaper than buying it, I was referring to lower end property in the UK where rents are higher than mortgage payments and are unaffordable to our young.

No because im sure there are B2L landlords out their that don't want houseing benefit people renting from them. So your if person X only wants to pay £90 pw and benefits payment was £100 pw, then the person on housing benefits gets the house it totally moot. As the B2L landlord doesn't want the housing benefit tenant in the first place. So they might be quite willing to let the house out for £90 pw. So if the B2L landlord can only achive £90 pw because they are limiting what tennats they want in their property then £90 pw it is.

One here for example... :-)

Tenants on housing benefit are a pain because there is always "problems" getting the money. Those who work generally tend to pay on time and take more care of the property as well.

Perhaps we should increase housing benefit to £10000 per week.

The workers who wish to pay £90 will still be able to pay £90/week because some landlords will only want working tenants :roll:

Of course there will be a price point where the landlord will be more than happy to accept benefit tennants but right now we have not achived that price point as there are many landlords out there that dont want benefit tennants even if they could collect more rent vs rent from a non benefit tennant.

That could be an affordable rented flat for a young couple!

Well it's an affordable flat for them to buy now.

Why pay the council rent for 30 years (like my mum did) when the total rent would be more then if they bought it ?

Well it's an affordable flat for them to buy now.

Why pay the council rent for 30 years (like my mum did) when the total rent would be more then if they bought it ?

Quite affordable, just used the HSBC mortgage calculator, with a 5K deposit and a capital repayment mortgage over 25 years they would currently pay between £120 & £166 per month depending which product they chose.

Yes, but only if it is farmed by the people themselves, and they are also allowed to build their own housing on it.

Allotments are more land productive, than large farms (which are labour efficient).

If people could do so, they would not need to work.

People shouldn't be forced to farm the land, and nor should they need to/be forced to work if they can farm the land and produce for themselves.

But they should have the option of farming the land.

Hang on, are we building on the land or are we farming it?

This is getting more and more bizzare by the minute...

Archived