Where and why do you?

She also uses coupons that come in the mail from the stores and saves a bundle on food bills.

I so miss the Sunday paper overflowing with coupons. Would really help with making a decision on which items to buy... Sadly, rarely get them here.

We usually shop Sainsburys or Waitrose.

AVOID Asda like the plague because its owned by Wal-Mart and theyre probably one of the most horrendous companies ever (they open in poor areas, keep staff wages low and say its because of where the stores are located that wages are low, theyre VERY anti-union and will shut down any store that tries to unionise and the fact they force local places way out of business is just a start for me to hate them)

Tesco as I view them the same as ASDA/Wal-Mart and they would probably try get away with the same if it wasnt for the amazing labour laws here.

I so miss the Sunday paper overflowing with coupons. Would really help with making a decision on which items to buy... Sadly, rarely get them here.

We usually shop Sainsburys or Waitrose.

AVOID Asda like the plague because its owned by Wal-Mart and theyre probably one of the most horrendous companies ever (they open in poor areas, keep staff wages low and say its because of where the stores are located that wages are low, theyre VERY anti-union and will shut down any store that tries to unionise and the fact they force local places way out of business is just a start for me to hate them)

Tesco as I view them the same as ASDA/Wal-Mart and they would probably try get away with the same if it wasnt for the amazing labour laws here.

We dont have any of the stores you mention where I live except Walmart There is Vons which is owned by Safeway. Ralphs wihich is owned by Kroger, Alberstons and Stater Brothers all within a 1-/2 mile radius of my home. They all have coupons which arrive among the usual junk mail but my wife carefully pulls them out and puts them aside for the weekend shopping trips

We have our Walmart about 5 miles up the hill. They have applied to become a Super Walmart which means they will also stock a large line in foods.

I agree with 100 percent about Walmart. The problem with them is that their prices on everything are so much cheaper than anywhere else. No one can beat their price on those big plastic containers of washing products. Their clothing is absolute rubbish though

The other stores I mentioned are all unionized. The Grocery Clerks union are talking about going on strike soon if better offers for healthcare insurance are not received.

I like the idea of seats for check out counter staff in British stores. They all have to stand here but they also have staff to bag the groceries and they will take them to the cars of elderly people and load them into the car trunk (boot) if requested

We dont have any of the stores you mention where I live except Walmart There is Vons which is owned by Safeway. Ralphs wihich is owned by Kroger, Alberstons and Stater Brothers all within a 1-/2 mile radius of my home. They all have coupons which arrive among the usual junk mail but my wife carefully pulls them out and puts them aside for the weekend shopping trips

We have our Walmart about 5 miles up the hill. They have applied to become a Super Walmart which means they will also stock a large line in foods.

I agree with 100 percent about Walmart. The problem with them is that their prices on everything are so much cheaper than anywhere else. No one can beat their price on those big plastic containers of washing products. Their clothing is absolute rubbish though

The other stores I mentioned are all unionized. The Grocery Clerks union are talking about going on strike soon if better offers for healthcare insurance are not received.

I like the idea of seats for check out counter staff in British stores. They all have to stand here but they also have staff to bag the groceries and they will take them to the cars of elderly people and load them into the car trunk (boot) if requested

Yeap, all the supermarkets I worked in were unionised (East coast chains: Edwards - which is now Stop and Shop, Waldbaums, PathMark and Genuardis - owned by SafeWay) Best benefit was time and half EVERY SUNDAY, if you worked a holiday it was time and a half as well, unless it was Thanksgiving which was double time. I had some benefits (nothing amazing, but 20% was covered in the ER, $10 prescriptions for generics) and it helped. You also had a union rep, which would prove useful especially if the front end manager was looking to sack you. Nice to have someone in your corner.

I dont miss standing for 8 hours at a time, its has caused some damage to my knees. As a chasier, I never took groceries to the car for people. If it was busy and we had a bagger, occasionally they would do it.

Archived