Why have services like dentists or doctors never opened at weekends?

Most people require essential services like doctors and dentists, but yet they're never open at weekends which for most people is the only time they get to see one.

A doctors and dentists which only opens at weekends would be far more convenient and beneficial for the general public, than the ones we have now which only open during the week.

I expect because they don't want to work weekends like most people!! I do agree with you tho' They are well paid at 100k for about 3-4 days a week, plus the perks ie, £20 odd for a letter to see a consultant etc. Nice work if you can get it!!!!

Most working people can access their dentists/doctors before or after work, or take annual leave or flexi time. Some practices open on Saturdays or have late nights where appointments may be booked. Emergency services are available 24/7.

Nice work if you're capable of studying for years to achieve the necessary qualifications and start work with £££s of debt; if you are prepared to take responsibility for people's lives; if you don't mind dealing with all types of people.

IMO there are people who are worth far less to our society who are paid much more than doctors or dentists!

Most people in healthcare would expect to get paid "time and a half" or "double time" for working at weekends and bank holidays. This would mean that the cost of the treatment would be double or nearly double what the weekday cost would be.

I suspect that very few people would wear this cost and would rather arrange some time off or adjust their working day to suit a dentist visit on a weekday. Especially when many firms allow employees to attend dentist and doctor appointment in works time. There would be very little call for an expensive out of hours general dentist.

Most people in healthcare would expect to get paid "time and a half" or "double time" for working at weekends and bank holidays. This would mean that the cost of the treatment would be double or nearly double what the weekday cost would be.

I suspect that very few people would wear this cost and would rather arrange some time off or adjust their working day to suit a dentist visit on a weekday. Especially when many firms allow employees to attend dentist and doctor appointment in works time. There would be very little call for an expensive out of hours general dentist.

My friend is currently working her third twelve hour shift at the Children's hospital, for no extra pay. I think she gets a day off in lieu for today, but nothing extra for doing weekends, or anti-social hours. Some of her shift patterns make me wince.

But then, she's not a GP.

Still, most doctors work bloody hard. And Ms Macbeth's points above are all true.

haha i completely agree i have to work all week and have to book an appointment n have a day off work why not make it at the weekends lol all u get is pensioners and dolees there all week complaing there bones hurt and they have hangovers and want jobs

I know you have got to get your post count up on the forum, but why is it every one on here seems to have the need to start slagging pensioners off. Hopefully one day you yourself might become a pensioner, but then again with an outlook like you seem to have against pensioners, maybe not.

If you are desperate to have the need to see a doctor at the weekend there are more than one NHS Walk-in centres in Sheffield to go to.

Its because we're thick. We stand for anything that a Dr or Dentist tells us. They're no different from any other profession, there's some good and some bad. To actually qualify as a Dr. doesn't actually mean when it comes to practice you'll be any good.

Weekend and evening work is something that they should do. Its a public service and they make a very good living out of it. If the public want weekend surgeries then the Dr's should open on Sundays....They carry too much sway though, so it won't happen..

haha i completely agree i have to work all week and have to book an appointment n have a day off work why not make it at the weekends lol all u get is pensioners and dolees there all week complaing there bones hurt and they have hangovers and want jobs

I would suggest that you indeed have a day off work and visit your GP. You are obviously deluded...:hihi:

Archived